what base to go too?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2012
Hey guys,

I am coaching an 8U team and we are allowed to be in the outfield while we are on defense. I remind the girls on where they are able to make a play, but as soon as they get the ball, they seem to forget.. :).. I am just wondering if there is something we can practice to help them make decisions? I think the parents don't help when they all are screaming on what base to throw too.. Is it just the age group and it gets better with age and just more practice?

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Age and experience. At some point that start figuring it out......at least I hope so, my oldest is 12 and they don't seem to ahve it figured out yet!:)

Apr 7, 2012
yeah that is what i figured.. We will continue to take infield and reminding them.. they get the idea, they just need to make that decision quicker..

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Have runners during practice, if you can have the parents run the bases just to get the players used to seeing where and why to throw the ball to certain bases.

Apr 7, 2012
yeah i had my wife say she would volunteer.. i also told the girls loud enough for everyone to hear... "Just listen to me and not your parents".. :)

Jun 11, 2012
California
Yelling to let them know where to throw and what to do is the first step but making them understand why is going to make them better in the future. Teach them the Why not just the What.

Remember, they have short attention spans, but walking through different situations at practice with runners on base is a great exercise. Put players in their defensive positions. Coach holds the ball and walks out to right field, saying "ground ball past the 2nd baseman" have defense rotate to play.

One easy idea to teach is, "Keep moving to to the ball until you get it or you have a new job." A "new job" being at a base, a backup/cover position, or a cutoff/relay position.

For example, ball hit through right side, 1B and 2B move to ball, as it passes 1B, she keeps moving until she goes to base, 2b keep moving until she's cutoff, RF moves until she gets ball and CF moves until she's the cover. LF is also moving towards ball until she becomes cover for throw to 2B. SS moves until she's at 2B. 3B is hovering near 3rd base, Catcher is moving to cover 1B. Everybody's moving to ball and has a "job".

Now, once they rotate to these positions, show them why it's important. Coach then plays it out, walking with the ball in right field and saying, "If RF misses ball, CF backs her up and throw goes to 2B...and if there's an overthrow at 2B(walking with ball over to 2B) then LF is there to back it up, etc." You get the drill and of course, you'll add base runners at some point. Now, when you add base runners that will also be an opportunity to teach them about the offensive side. Teach them the Why not just the What.

May 11, 2012
Situational practice IMO will defnitely help that. Make them tell you before the at bat, where the play is and make them tell you why.

With my dd last year( she was 7 to start the season), I had a dry erase board and we would go over situations together. We only spent about 5 minutes each day, every day for about 2 weeks straight. Thats pretty much all it took for her to have a GREAT grasp. Then, of course it takes some time for them to apply it to the field, but if you ask them before the play in practice and they know the situation...........it will be a smoother transition.

Of course experience will help, but they have top be taught. IMO people cant just expect girls to know if they are never truly broken down and taught. Be the coach who starts it and really teaches them. IMO it does them no good to just have coaches say wher eto go in games and never really know why. You can do it and so can they!

Apr 7, 2012
good tips guys. I have been working with them and I have always explained it to them showing them where runners are, why we can go to a certain base, and if they did something wrong, I explain WHY we couldn't go to that bases or WHY she was safe/out. they are getting it. If they do mess up i ask them and they usually give me the right answer, but just didnt make the right play. I know its something they will learn. Thanks for the tips guys. I always ask the girls where we are going now before a play and most of the time they get it.. we usually have a little time between batters..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA