Wear another team's practice uniform to tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
People judge other people according to what they wear all the time, and, as marketing experts would tell us, our prejudices and decisions are not always entirely conscious. No point in testing the coach's enlightenment.

It's normal human behavior to prejudge and categorize. Psychology 101. The coach is sorting the kids the moment he sees them and making a first impression. This impression can be changed over time, but why make things harder on your kid then you have to? Coaches are just human, even if they won't admit it.

-W

Points taken.

But we're not talking about wearing a clown suit. We're talking about wearing a t-shirt with a particular team or school name on it. If there is a coach who is swayed by something like that, then that coach has not made a good impression on me.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Points taken.

But we're not talking about wearing a clown suit. We're talking about wearing a t-shirt with a particular team or school name on it. If there is a coach who is swayed by something like that, then that coach has not a good impression on me.

Yeah but the point being, if the coach at the tryout had a bad experience with a team he might not be able to look past that feeling when it comes to judging a girl with that teams name on her chest. It might not be something he is doing consciously, but in the back of his mind he is thinking "is this the girl who spiked..., is she one of the rude obnoxious girls who..."

May 25, 2010
Points taken.

But we're not talking about wearing a clown suit. We're talking about wearing a t-shirt with a particular team or school name on it. If there is a coach who is swayed by something like that, then that coach has not made a good impression on me.
I admire you for being a man of conviction who wears his beliefs on his sleeve, but the reality is that the impression most likely would not be made on you at all, because the coach isn't going to tell you that her tryout shirt is the reason he did not wish to take your daughter on the team.

I respect that you have a solid code that you live by, but at the same time, it sometimes seems that you aren't willing to accept that people are always going to be people, even if they aren't living up to the standards you have set for yourself. Be a man of great honor - we need more of you in the world - but don't forget that the world is made up of all types. In a perfect world, yes, coach sees only performance. But we all have our biases and there's no set formula for what might trigger them.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about tryout jerseys.

I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about tryout jerseys, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about tryout jerseys.

Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last, but we're talking about tryout jerseys man.

How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that, but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything.

I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about tryout jerseys.

We're talking about tryout jerseys man.

We're talking about tryout jerseys.

We're not talking about the game.

When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about tryout jerseys right now.

Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too, but we're talking about tryout jerseys man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about tryout jerseys.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I advised DD against bringing ANYTHING with her team's name/logo on it only out of sheer respect. DD doesn't have to worry about standing out as she's usually the tallest one at tryouts. LOL.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Unless the team is associated with some very unsportsman-like behavior or outright cheating, it makes no difference to me at all. It is in some ways a compliment that a kid from another team has come to your tryouts.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about tryout jerseys.

I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about tryout jerseys, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about tryout jerseys.

Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last, but we're talking about tryout jerseys man.

How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that, but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything.

I know it's important, I honestly do, but we're talking about tryout jerseys.

We're talking about tryout jerseys man.

We're not talking about the game.

When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about tryout jerseys right now.

Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too, but we're talking about tryout jerseys man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about tryout jerseys.
Golf Clap.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, if more than 2 show up, with the same uniform, it might be suspicious. Maybe all of "Amy's Aces" are out shopping for a team. Heck, you wouldn't even need uniforms. I would just love to see my players, in my t-shirts, trying out for someone else.

(I made up this scenario.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie