Wear another team's practice uniform to tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2012
Tryouts are coming in a month or so and I want to try out for other teams.

I'm thinking of wearing my last team's practice uniform to tryouts. Is this a good idea?

On one hand, I'm thinking it will let the coaches know I have experience but I'm concerned that they may wonder why I'm not sticking with my old team, thinking that I'm not good enough to make that team or that I'm a team jumper.

Thanks! :cool:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. Wear as plain as t-shirt as you can. I didn't even like it when the boys would wear a Cardinals shirt to Little League. :) My sons' coach wouldn't even let them wear a basketball shirt in baseball practice. Sorry. I went a little off topic.

Apr 1, 2010
I don't think I would; it doesn't feel "right". I see most tb players wearing tournament t-shirts with their softball pants to tryouts--that says you've been playing tb without pushing another team's name into their faces. However, it's very normal to take your last team's bat bag and helmet to tryouts (they can't expect you to buy a new bat bag/helmet for tryouts).

Most coaches want you to fill out paperwork listing all your previous teams and the years you played for them anyway, along with the positions you play, phone numbers, email addresses, etc. I've even seen typical human resources questions like, "What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?" So I would come prepared with all the information they might want.

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm much more focused on what you do in a tryout than what you wear. You can wear a clown suit to my tryout if you can field like a demon and hit for both power and average. :)

I suppose it also depends on the reputation of your old team. It could be an enhancement if the team was good, or a negative if the team was weak.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Plus they might not remember everyone's name but the coaches will remember the girl in the clown suit.

Boy that clown sure could hit, That clown had a great arm...

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
That's funny, Chinamigarden. I always preach do something memorable at tryouts. That would be memorable!

Often at tryouts if I don't know the kids I will write down what they're wearing so I can call them by name, and remember them afterwards. When you see a lot of kids it can get tough!

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
We are running into a problem this year that may necessitate my DD wear her batting helmet from her old team since we cannot seem to locate another one that fits her correctly . It has their logo emblazoned across the front of it . I figure she will either stand out on her own regardless of what she is wearing and if a coach doesn't like the fact that she is wearing another teams gear or colors then we will just have to live with it . Heck all of her catchers gear is in her teams colors and I am not running out to buy all new stuff regardless of who she winds up playing for . I wish she had something more neutral but at the end of the day I am thinking most coaches are either gonna see a player they like or one they don't regardless of what she is wearing .

Oct 10, 2011
We are running into a problem this year that may necessitate my DD wear her batting helmet from her old team since we cannot seem to locate another one that fits her correctly . It has their logo emblazoned across the front of it . I figure she will either stand out on her own regardless of what she is wearing and if a coach doesn't like the fact that she is wearing another teams gear or colors then we will just have to live with it . Heck all of her catchers gear is in her teams colors and I am not running out to buy all new stuff regardless of who she winds up playing for . I wish she had something more neutral but at the end of the day I am thinking most coaches are either gonna see a player they like or one they don't regardless of what she is wearing .

Cover it with Duct tape. I'd do the whole helmet...it would could be a fashion trend.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If you're an unknown, the practice uniform could be somewhat of a bonus. At least I'd know you played for someone.

I don't do tryouts, but I've watched a few and most of the girls just wear a "tournament" shirt. I always like to look and see who played the furthest away from home.

Jul 26, 2010
I'd advise against it. The coaches might think that you're just attending other teams tryouts for free practice. You also don't know if there is any bad blood between the two teams, it's best to avoid it.

Be memorable, but stay away from wearing stuff from other teams. My own kids have special "tryout socks", you know, the kind they would never wear once on a team but that they wear to tryouts, like flames, dayglo checkerboards, whatever.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors