Weaker practices vs. what she is used to

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Since we are now signed up with a team of slightly lower caliber than what 12U DD is used to, the practices are not as hard. I am concerned about keeping her bar raised and we have had a couple of invites to older team's practices. She is already a busy girl with volleyball practice @ 6:45 a.m. Monday - Thursday, pitching lessons Monday afternoons, softball practices Tues/Thurs/Sun, small group for church on Wednesdays, pitching clinic on Sundays (before practice)...would it be worth it to attend these 14U practices at least once a month? Not sure what else to do but she has even commented on being worried about not being challenged. Oh and FYI, she wanted to pitch but couldn't get in with the higher caliber teams just yet...she will get more pitching time now...we figured better now than never.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
It sounds to me like your DD is way overscheduled as it is, so adding on more formal practice time may not provide the benefits you are looking for, especially if it only once a month. I think she would get more out of extra time with you on the side, working on things beyond what her coaches are doing. In addition, I suggest that you encourage her to challenge herself at every practice, and go beyond what is expected of her by the coaches. Push herself hard and see if the other girls on the team follow her lead. Make the most of what she is doing now, rather than adding more to try and make up for perceived deficiencies.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
It sounds to me like your DD is way overscheduled as it is, so adding on more formal practice time may not provide the benefits you are looking for, especially if it only once a month. I think she would get more out of extra time with you on the side, working on things beyond what her coaches are doing. In addition, I suggest that you encourage her to challenge herself at every practice, and go beyond what is expected of her by the coaches. Push herself hard and see if the other girls on the team follow her lead. Make the most of what she is doing now, rather than adding more to try and make up for perceived deficiencies.

FWIW I agree with this post. Even if new team isn't up to the level as previous team practices can be beneficial, she has to challenge herself more. Talk to her about taking a leadership role on the team and leading the other girls by example in effort and attitude.
What you and she thinks practice is lacking make up for it on your own. This is also invaluable bonding time.
The chance to pitch will pay off.

Jan 25, 2011
I think,you are over using her arm,volleyball,softball practice,and pitching clinics.You may want to give her a break.Just saying! I would keep a real close eye on her arm,because at that rate you might not have to worry about the older team,she might be sitting out for awhile with a arm issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA