need some advice on how to handle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Why do any of the other players care if Coach brought in another catcher? They should be happy about that. Especially as we enter summer season, catchers need a chance to sit and catch their breath and hydrate. One catcher can't do it all if you intend to go deep into a tournament, with 4-6 potential games in a day. And in high-level ball, the name of the game is cross-training and learning other positions. Right now, my DD is the primary catcher on an A-level team, but sometimes she has to come out and someone has to sub. So, for example, our center fielder can catch, but then the whole field has to shuffle and people wind up playing other positions. No one's position is on "lockdown;" it's not like picking a seat at the movie theater ("this is MY seat"). Your DW needs to ignore the BS and watch your DD develop. Those people just don't understand at this point what is needed to make a team successful. We>Me.

Sep 19, 2018
I agree with everyone here. Keep quite and let your daughter enjoy herself. If you MUST say something to the coach, I'd just say how appreciative you are that everyone gets a chance.

May 6, 2015
OK, thanks, just needed to vent really, and BTW, I am totally on board with needing at LEAST two catchers, would not have gone to team with established catcher if we were not. absolutely need to rest them each in tournaments.

will see how it goes. DD is having fun, and generally gets on with a lot of her teammates (with 14, not everyone is going to be chummy with everybody, and that is OK).

since they have had limited outdoor practice time, do you think it would be presumptious of her to ask coach to practice some 1B and 3B pickoffs, they have done none at all yet, and in one inning this past weekend, runners stole 3rd twice on DD because she had to hold throw because fielder at 3B was late reacting (some of this is on SS/CF not calling it out)? I think DD can get them an out everyone now and then (favorite tactice is to seem like she does not care for a pitch or two, then fire wiht no warning on a pitch, no running at base, etc.)

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I think as long as the request is coming from your DD (she's old enough now), it's fine. It's just when parents start trying to dictate how practices go that things get problematic. JMHO, YMMV.

Apr 28, 2014
Some great responses. I would add that you need to vocalize what you guys are thinking. Do it calmly and respectfully but do it. If I were at the snack bar and someone said "why do we need another pitcher". I would say "Excuse me, what is wrong with kids pushing each other to be better"? Once that parent understands that it's NOT okay to speak like that she will stop.
On the bag I would go to coach and say "Hey coach, I'm a little confused... I think you may have given Sally the bag that my kid wanted. If so do you want them to switch or will you be ordering a new one for my kid"?
Give him a chance to make it right but allow him to know that you know what is going on and it won't be tolerated. If it was simple mistake then there will be no hard feelings.
When emotion goes up intelligence goes down. Don't allow things to build up. Address each issue as they arise and it will be good!

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Two dedicated catchers and a backup catcher seem to be the ideal. My DD, who is ultra competitive, told me herself that she's glad there's another catcher on the team. Right now, our team has only the 2 dedicated catchers. They can basically play any of the non-pitcher positions and are actually an upgrade for some of them. I feel like we're an injury or illness away from exhausting a catcher, because I've never seen another player on this team practice in gear. There are going to be some injured umpires if we have to go 3 deep. Come to think of it, I may casually broach the subject the next time I run into the coach.

May 6, 2015
Letting things lie, biding time for now. they are still splitting time, but we will see. seems a lot of the parent grumbling has died down, or at least less out in open.

kinda curious, this past weekend, start of bracket play (they each caught 1.5 pool games), interim HC tells my daughter to stay suited up for game (both were suited up from warming up pitchers), other C asks normal HC, sitting outside dugout (technically not coaching right now as they recover from a medical issue), who is catching, he tells interim HC to start C who went to him. she has been with the team longer (DD joined this winter), and is part of hate to use word but cannot think of another one so I will clique of players and parents more local to where team is based, same schools, etc. Also, DD is 2007, other catcher and most of team is 2006, when I mentioned it to HC during winter workouts, he seemed to think she would move up with rest of team. DD says interim coach told her she was going to catch finals if we made it (our first bracket game was semifinal), would have been interesting to see if normal HC would have tried to overrule him, and how it would have played out. FWIW, 3 runs on PB/WP (not certain of how they were scored or how they should have been scored) in semi, they lost by 3. DD did not play in field, was in BO.

gonna be interesting ride.

DD is fine splitting time, definitely does not want to catch every game (and neither do I want her to).

May 6, 2015
update, while coming back from a catching lesson a week or so ago, talking to her about how it is the little things her catching instructor (last springs TB coach) is having her work on will be difference between being #1 and #2 catcher. she says she is fine not being #1, really wants to split time, and seems to be embracing some time in OF (about 50% of time not catching she is in RF). How do I get across to her that one of them is going to improve and get more time, esp in bracket play. she gets along with other C, so I guess she sees trying to be the #1 (even if PT is relatively equal) as doing something to the other C. If she can play in games the way she does for her instructor, she will be #1, no doubt.

On another note, we are having an issue with her in rec (she decided to play rec again this year to play with/against her classmates). Generally coaches are thrilled, she is behind plate about half the time, but for all but one game, she was catching the #2 and below pitchers (team has one ace who is miles above the rest, might be best pitcher in league, have not faced entire league yet). meaning she is chasing A LOT of WP. I tell her this is because coach knows you have best chance to keep some of those in front of you. no real chance to pick of BR, because they just wait for the inevitable WP to run on. but the real issue is she has on a few occasions called our other players for something they did or did not do (last night, told 2B after infield pop fly hit the ground 10 in front of her it was her ball, after other C (DD was on 3B) threw to second with a runner on 3B, she told her she should not throw to 2B with runner on 3B (no way this 12u rec team can do anything with that)). she was correct in both instances, but how do I get across to her that she should not be calling out teamates like that at this level. She is always very vocal, which is great if she is calling out plays, what to do, etc., and is always cheering hard for all her teammates. But comments like this I know get under the coaches and parents skin. She says the coaches do not address mistakes, but she needs to learn she should not be regardless, and she needs to give the coaches a chance. And she has to go to school with all these girls as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee