Watching 3rd strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Give them a plan verbally when they have two strikes, one that replaces the negative and timid thoughts in their heads.

Could be as simple as saying "make contact."

Many of the things we say create negative thoughts, such as when a batter has two strikes or a pitcher has 3 balls.

Boy this could be its own thread. Things not to say for successful players. My 2 least favorites are with a runner on 3rd
Coach to pitcher: Make sure you cover on a wild pitch or passed ball.
Coach to catcher: You better block the pitch in the dirt

Nov 8, 2009
Boy this could be its own thread. Things not to say for successful players. My 2 least favorites are with a runner on 3rd
Coach to pitcher: Make sure you cover on a wild pitch or passed ball.
Coach to catcher: You better block the pitch in the dirt

I'm confused, why would U NOT want a pitcher to cover home on a passed ball and WHY would u not wanna catcher to block the ball in the dirt?

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I have found that kids looking at third strikes is all about the fear of geting out. Ken is absolutely right. The only thing worse than kids that have fear is a coach who makes a hitter take pitches, then gets on them when they take strike three. I seldom put the take on. I try to help the girls understand about hitting. I tell them to "get their money's worth". They look at me like I am crazy. Then I explain if they went to a batting cage and put a dollar in the machine, would they take pitches? I say, then you are getting your money's worth of swings. They sorta laugh and understand what I mean. Then I can use that saying when they have two strikes in a game and it reminds them to relax and swing.

Jan 31, 2011
I'm confused, why would U NOT want a pitcher to cover home on a passed ball and WHY would u not wanna catcher to block the ball in the dirt?

In my opinion its called "Self-fulfilling prophecy"...How many times have you hear a coach yell at a catcher something like, "There's a runner on 3rd you CANNOT allow a pass ball!"

Next pitch, pass ball & they score! LOL.

As a coach come up with a positive way of stating the things you want to happen. Like, " You're doing a great job back there, I need you to focus and help your pitcher".

Don't plant negative thoughts or they seem to come true...

Jan 20, 2010
If you are trying to break a kid from not swinging at strike 3, meaning it happens often. You have to let them swing at strike 1 and 2, you are never going to get a kid more aggressive on strike 3 if you restrict them on earlier pitches. Once a kid has it figured out, then you can start to be more situational in your approach. I certainly works better then having them run.

This part of the discussion wasn't really in the context of a kid with a problem of taking 3rd strikes rather more in general for all hitters.

Sep 3, 2009
In my opinion its called "Self-fulfilling prophecy"...How many times have you hear a coach yell at a catcher something like, "There's a runner on 3rd you CANNOT allow a pass ball!"

Next pitch, pass ball & they score! LOL.

As a coach come up with a positive way of stating the things you want to happen. Like, " You're doing a great job back there, I need you to focus and help your pitcher".

Don't plant negative thoughts or they seem to come true...

Perfectly worded. I can count on one hand how many caught pitches my dd drops in an entire tournament. But like the sun rising and setting, every inning at 2 outs, and with 2 strikes on the batter, when our coach gives my dd the signs, it comes with "make sure you squeeze this one".

Jan 31, 2011
Back to the original question. I feel that making 10YOs run after a watch 3rd strike is not the kind of coaching I like. I understand what you are trying to accomplish with consequences, but overall its not going to work like you want. IMHO.

I think Ken stated it best. I really want my athletes to play the game with little pressure caused by me. There is enough on them with mom & dad and game tension, especially at 10U. I want them to look at me as someone that believes in them and "has their back" when the pressure mounts. Believe me there is no one in the ball park that feels worse than the kid on a watched 3rd strike.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You do want that, but you also need to figure out a better way to say it, or even better have it second nature to a kid so you don't have to say it every single pitch when there is a base runner on 3rd. By saying it these ways, you plant the seed of doubt in a kids mind and the only thing she thinks about is what to do on a wild pitch. I would rather she was thinking about the pitch she is about to throw. If you have them thinking wild pitch, guess what you are going to get. I see more wild pitches with a runner on 3rd then any other time in games. Why is that? Because someone has the wild pitch coverage in her head more then the actual pitch.

DSC

Feb 13, 2011
Central Illinois
My 12U DD is one of those who just doesn't put the bat in motion unless she thinks it is a perfect pitch. I am working on her with this and she is coming along well. I think it may come from two things, fear of striking out and lack of confidence.

I would suggest working on a hitting drill to teach fouling off to "protect the plate" with 2 strikes. Have a session of nothing but hitting fouls intentionally. You might start with you underhand tossing pitches that are anything but in the middle and then move to one of your pitchers and have her work the edges. By working them on making contact with the less than perfect pitches and fouling them off you should build their confidence in making contact period. You might ask about the pitch when they come in the dugout, but that is not the time to get on them about it, they feel bad enough about the out already.

As for the fear of striking out, you may be reinforcing that with the punishment.

No, I don't agree that they should swing at every strike, but that's not to say I want a girl to lay off the first pitch if it it's good and she is confident she can put it somewhere.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
I coach all my better hitters to hit their best pitch, that they expand their strike zone as they get deeper in the count. A low outside strike can be awfully tough on a righthanded batter. Important thing to note is: know the pitch you hit best!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles