Watching 3rd strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
At 10u if the bat can hit it, then I want them to swing. I would then refine it from that point but I want girls wanting to swing. I think the parents hollering out "way to watch" are the ones to send to the foul pole and back.

Sep 3, 2009
To quincy: your reply doesn't make sense to me, 1 & 2 strike don't produce an out, 3rd one does.

If you swing at a first or second strike, then your chances for a hit go up. If you don't swing at a strike, you're guaranteed not to get a hit. There are some who will sit there and wait for the fat meatball. As they get up in age and skill, those fat pitches are history..

Jan 20, 2010
If you swing at a first or second strike, then your chances for a hit go up. If you don't swing at a strike, you're guaranteed not to get a hit. There are some who will sit there and wait for the fat meatball. As they get up in age and skill, those fat pitches are history..

So ahead 2-0 you would advise swinging at a nasty pitch that barely catches the outside corner at the knees?

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
If you must make them run, what is plate, foul pole, foul pole, plate teaching them. They will swing at anything on third strike so they do not have to run. They probably feel bad enough as it is, letting themselves, teammates, and coaches down. I saw a D1 game earlier this spring where there were 7 called third strikes on one team. I am sure they were not coached that way and at 10u, they have just started to learn.

As a side note, if you have to punish them for other reasons, why have them running plate, foul pole, etc. Have them run bases. After swinging a bat, run to first base all out two times. Then home plate to second following the first base coach instructions, two times. Then home plate to third following the third base coach instructions. And then of course, home to home. At least this way they are running but learning something at the same time. Oh, at 10u, make it feel like they are having fun.:)

Oct 25, 2009
There are no balls and strikes for batters with two strikes on them. They are only looking for something to hit--stop it from getting to the catcher.

Dec 25, 2010

My girls are taught to sit on "their pitch" when they have no strikes in the count. Also on a 3 and 1 count. 12u

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Punishing 10U players for not swinging at the third strike or other such transgressions is a sure way to drive them into another sport. Or to get them swinging at garbage as has been said. Negative reinforcement rarely works, especially at this age. And while they're running, they're not learning to hit, which is what they should be doing.

I have a theory on why young players look at so many third strikes. If they swing and miss to strike out it's their fault. If they take the third strike it's the umpire's fault. You have to get them to see that they're out either way so it's their fault/responsibility. When they do that they'll start being more aggressive.

Punishing 10U players for not swinging at the third strike or other such transgressions is a sure way to drive them into another sport. Or to get them swinging at garbage as has been said. Negative reinforcement rarely works, especially at this age. And while they're running, they're not learning to hit, which is what they should be doing.

I have a theory on why young players look at so many third strikes. If they swing and miss to strike out it's their fault. If they take the third strike it's the umpire's fault. You have to get them to see that they're out either way so it's their fault/responsibility. When they do that they'll start being more aggressive.

Kens the man!!!

Nov 1, 2009
Most kids that don't swing at the third strike are afraid to fail. I would make two suggestions. First don't yell at kids when they swing at a bad pitch. Try to find something positive about the swing and talk about that. And incorporate that if that is the pitch they want to hit make sure you go after it 100% The second is let them know it is alright to strike out. The older they get and the better the teams are that they play the more likely you are to strike out.

I don't like a girl to take a third strike but in the end it is not different than swinging and missing. We just feel worse about the effort, but remember these are kids and maybe they just got fooled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00