Video taping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Here is a screen shot comparing the iPad (Coaches Eye) vs the Kodak Playsport. I just got the playsport Saturday off of CraigsList for $40. The detail is much better... not perfect, but an acceptable low cost alternative.

I bought two Kodak Playsports off Ebay and plan to use them to try my hand at making a skills video for my DD. The camera comes with some editing software that seems easy to use. I will let you know how it goes!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I use a Canon Powershot ELPH and like the results. Fits in my pocket but a little slow to navigate. I like the idea of the iPad apps.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Still haven't dragged out the Sony, but I did get a chance to do more with Ubersense on the iPad mini.
I got some excellent video of DD hitting with good visibility of the ball, hands, and barrel throughout from a better-lit corner of the facility.

DD isn't a pitcher, so solving the invisible arms isn't really my problem, but I'd suppose if you can't improve the lighting in the tunnel, you could put her it white with long sleeves, for better light return.

Jan 17, 2013
We use a Sony - HDRXR260 for our videos, and the frame rate is fantastic. The slow motion feature also works incredibly well.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA

after seeing this thread I got Ubersense and tried some video. This was using existing indoor light but the place does have some windows so the lighting isn't all fluorescent.
it works really well but doesn't stop the barrel of the bat (notice the metalwood bat) or the pitchers hand in every frame.
I took some quick video of DD pitching and she saw right away 3 things she was doing wrong!

the comparison thing is nice too. I wish I could post slow-mo clips because those work great!
I also wish I could post it with a different name, I don't want to have kid's real names floating around the internet.

also in Ubersense, the clip keeps running through over and over without stopping until you stop it.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2012
The Casio EXILIM "High Speed" (Lineup is about the best there is for a High Speed Engine at a consumer price$300.00 ish New.
Unfortunately, they are not available in the US, at least not since last fall as I had to order one on Ebay from Hong Kong.
Here is a clip of a pitcher I took at 120 frames a second, and it will go up to 1000 frames a second, but with extremly reduced quality.

Last edited: