Tryouts... Opinions needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

SoftballMomof2

Softball Mom
Aug 16, 2010
DD is moving up to 12U this coming season. My DD is having a hard time deciding what to do as far as tryouts are concerned. She is unsure of if she should stay with her current team, or find a new one.

I have tried to find the pros and cons and still am unsure.

Pros: Very good "A" team - Going to Nationals in August.
Very experienced coaching staff, consisting of high caliber/former players etc.
Great group of girls (well there is always that "one girl" - but for the most part)
Very structured in how team events, tournaments, practices, and all other team thing are concerned.

Cons: Sat more this season than in the past 3 seasons combined!
She is a pitcher and is worried she will not get to pitch much next year.
Has had some conflicts with one hard headed assistant
**this one is opinion based, but I feel that sometimes this team just not re-inforce the positives enough while at the same time putting an extreme amount of pressure on girls (I know there is pressure in travel ball, but this is much different / more negative feeling)

All in all I have mixed feelings. My DD is considering playing fall ball and testing the waters for 12U - (her team already had tryouts) - however she is just as unsure as I.

I think the biggest thing for her is this year her confidence has taken a hard hit. She is not the "BEST" player on the team and has went through a slump with her hitting but she is what I consider the middle of the pack. Other girls with less abilities are consistently played over her. I am afraid to say it, but I think this year has been all "daddy ball" ----

What to do? New team? Give this team a second chance?

Mar 13, 2010
I would go to the head coach and ask what your daughter needs to do to get more playing time. Don't mention *anything* negative about their coaching. See if you get constructive feedback. Be honest if your daughter can do what is asked. If she can't then Definitly find another team.

If you think she can have a chat with her. Ask her what she wants to do with softball. Does she want to play all the time or does she want to fight for her spot? Try and lead her to what she wants.

If she feels she's sitting when lesser players are playing it might be time to test he waters. There is nothing more soul destroying than sitting watching lesser players play. It's truly not worth it if that's the case.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
If its Daddyball, then definitely find a new team. There's no need to waste another year having your DD sit the bench when the coach's DDs get all of the playing time. If she can't get playing time no matter how good she is, it's time to move on.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Regardless of your decision she is coming to the age where she needs to work
hard outside of team practices. If she wants to focus on Softball, in addition to
seeing a pitching coach, she needs to work on her hitting and fundamentals. The
more she works, the more she will be at the top of the talent ladder rather than
middle of the pack". Run away from daddy ball

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I see a disconnect with your OP and unfortunately, people have jumped on the term daddyball and told you to run away. You say the team is a good A team and going to Nationals in August, and has a very good coaching staff of high caliber/former players, and provides a structured learning environment for the team. This is not typical of a daddyball team. The cons you list are that your DD has sat a lot this year, and that she is in the middle of the pack on this team, not the best player she is used to being.

My question for you is - Is this a good thing or a bad thing for her? Is your DD the type of kid who was great at a younger age, and never learned to work hard and earn playing time? Is she really cut out to be on an A team? Would she be happier playing on a lower level team that may not have the same level of success, coaching, and competition? Are you willing to accept her decision regardless of what it is?

The most important thing you can work on with your DD is hitting and fundamentals. If your DD is a great hitter, any team will get her in the line-up, even daddyball teams. If she is in a "season long slump", most coaches will sit her in favor of a lesser defensive player who hits the ball, because you can always find a place to hide a great hitter somewhere in the field. It's hard to hide a poor hitter in the lineup since you are guaranteed they will make at least 2 or 3 outs per game. There are things you can do to help your DD win playing time if she has the desire and motivation. Jumping to another team is not necessarily one of them.

May 8, 2011
AL
You are going through nearly the same problems as we are. I feel your pain my daughter has rode the bench more than any other player and is not the best but is far from the worst!! She will be moving up to 12u as well this fall.......I wish you and your DD the best of luck!!

Aug 8, 2011
Whew, I feel your pain! My daughter has moved a couple of times in her career and we knew when it was time to go... It seems that you have a lot of good things going on but the benchwarming thing is really unacceptable. If you and your daughter feel that she should be starting then you should find a team on which she will start. Nobody ever got better sitting on the bench. It sounds like the organization is very sound and that is a big plus. It will be hard to find a really good organization with a strategy in place to move your daughter from 12U thru college but it sounds like you need to look. Look at all the potential teams websites, these are a reflection of the dedication and commitment to the organization. ASK a TON of questions of the potential teams. Go to a TON of tryouts. You are your daughters agent. Go get her a new gig!!!!

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Pitchers need to pitch. Any other position, I would tell you to get on the team going to Nationals. If she is the number 2 on the "A" team, I would stay. If she is lower than that, I would look for a team she will be pitching more. JMHO

Mar 25, 2011
Pitchers do need to pitch. But that circle time is earned. You earn it by practice, not by just getting to step into the circle and think velocity and control will just show up if you throw during more games. Girls are wrecked on the mound. Pitchers shine. I have repeatedly talked with my daughter about earning her circle time. If you don't feel you get enough time in the circle, then make yourself a pitcher that simply can't be passed over. Separate yourself so far from the competition that the only excuse for not pitching is so absurd, that you can look at it and see it for what it really is. You do this by practicing and pushing, always striving for more. Sure, some days you want to sit back and coast...and those are the days you can choose to lose circle time, or to separate yourself.

What I think I'd look at in your situation is has your daughter stopped growing? Not physically, but in her skills. Is she still becoming a stronger player through the development she is getting on the team? Is it an appropriate growth rate? Does she get along with the girls? Are you too involved?

Maybe that can give you a new look at it all. Good luck.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I'm not sure it's been stressed enough here but how are the practices on her current team? How much has your daughter improved over the last year?

Games are great, but you'll get more bang for your buck in improvement with high quality practices. I've seen a number of teams that over the summer get in a ton of games, they play virtually every weekend. They rarely have time for practice. You can see the fundamentals start to deteriorate and their performance/finishishes really drop.

Every year between our state tournament are our national tournament we've had some off time to rest and practice. Every year our team has played better and more inspired softball at the national tournament. The extra practices had a lot to do with the performance IMO.

So the point - I'd use quality of practices (which will lead to improvement in your daughters game) as at least one criteria in the evaluation process of "should she stay or should she go".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA