Travel program just wants to have fun, not really interested in improvement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
In the end when my daughter had to leave our community there weren't hard feelings. She wanted more and most of the kids she left behind wanted the same or less. They weren't right or wrong and neither was she, like sluggers said probably only 1 out of 10 kids matches what your daughter wants so unless there is a huge pool of kids in your town it's unlikely you can put a team together of like minded kids. You need to get over the mentallity that what you want for your daughter is right for everybody. That's why your confused when they say they want something different. So don't present leaving as her wanting to go someplace "better", present leaving as being what is best for your DD and there should not be hard feelings.

Sep 3, 2009
Sluggers, if my daughter left the program the hard feelings would come from the parents thinking my daughter and I abandoned the program. She and I both have come under fire for playing club ball because of the occasional conflicts where we missed local (rec and travel) to go to a club tourney. Only happened three times this year. That just may be the way it has to be.

Sluggers advice was spot on. Everyone's interests change over time. If your dd wants to move on to something more competitive, should she be held back by you because you feel compelled to stay and be the coach body on the field so other girls can have "fun"? Congrats on giving to the game, and coaching young girls in this game we all love. You'll leave, and another somebody will step up and coach the girls and they'll still continue to have fun. The girls are at the age now where they're making decisions. Go outside and hit off the tee for an hour, or go post duck-face pics on Facebook. I think you already know what you should do. Good luck to you.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
I can think of few things more frightening than me posting duck face pictures on the web :)

Its really not about whether I am the head coach. I haven't been a head coach since fall and I probably won't coach at the local level again. I had hoped for the town travel team to improve because next year competition will be much tougher. The rules will change as well (unlimited stealing, dropped third strike, etc.) Fun may be in short supply.

My dd played club this year and had a terrific time. That will be the direction on-going.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I had hoped for the town travel team to improve because next year competition will be much tougher. The rules will change as well (unlimited stealing, dropped third strike, etc.) Fun may be in short supply.

Doesn't sound like "fun" will be in short supply for the other girls. Their definition is different than yours. To me, it sounds like they will have just as much fun if they lose as if they win, as long as they don't have to work too hard. Not everyone is bothered by losing.

You and your daughter wouldn't have fun on a team that can't compete. But based on what you said about the girls and their parents, that probably won't be an issue for the rest.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Ideally you'd be able to get one of the assistants or parents with the "fun team" mindset to take over the reigns.

This way, instead of it appearing you're "bailing" on them, it could be presented as transitioning the leadership to a coach that is better suited to take that team in the direction they want.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
They really never let go of the reigns. I was the fall coach because nobody else wanted to do it. We started fall SB when my DD was 10 (she’s 12 now). I have been the spring coach several times – presumably because the fall campaigns were successful. The Girls President has been the head travel coach for the past 5 years in my DDs grade. I would substitute coach when they left for vacation and I would help where else I could. I would often run practices or have input in the practices because I would introduce drills, games, processes, etc.

When we got the club schedule last spring I went to the rec and travel leadership and gave them my DD’s schedule. I told them we would make every effort to make games that weren’t on the club dates. Still there were recriminations for the several games we couldn’t make. I am doing what I believe is best for my DD and while trying to minimize the impact on town ball.

In recreation ball every person deserves to be there and has valid needs regardless of skill. Ideally the less talented player should receive as fair treatment and as much opportunity as the better player. It’s fun without a great deal of work. Travel is different. Ideally the players would have pride playing on the travel team and are interested in improvement – finding fun in learning, accomplishment and competition. I misjudged the parent’s willingness to strive and work.

My DD will play club next year and play town travel when it is possible and prudent. One thing the parent’s reaction did for me was to allow me to feel less distressed when we have conflicts between club and town ball. I really dislike leaving people in the lurch or not honoring commitments. Hopefully I can influence the program to move in a positive trajectory but I’ll certainly take a less direct approach. We live in a small town and those relationships really matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom