Throwing drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I can tell you from personal experience with my DD that you should go back and re-read Austin's post and the articles he linked to. Also read the Throwing thread referenced above. Re-read the throwing thread again until you understand the proper sequence of the throwing motion or you will most likely only be hurting your DD more. Here is another article with a similar take on throwing.

How do I know this works? My DD (10 years old) has always had a strong arm, but I taught her the dreaded L and face the ball away crap that is commonly taught. She had frequent shoulder and elbow pain, and slipped into side arm because it didn't hurt as much. After about a year of working on her sequence, ala Austin/Tewks' direction, she now throws bullets from home to 2nd. No side arm, keeping the hand back prior to front leg ER with great arm whip and no pushing. Her mantra is now 'Thou shalt not steal', and you'd better be fast if you try. Although not many do after the 1st inning. Oh, did I mention that she has absolutely 0 pain and can throw all day long.

I have recently introduced thoracic extension (TE) and we do long throws 4-5 times a week out to 80+ feet (hey, she's only 10). No rainbows, pretty accurate and no pain.

Understand the sequence and lose the L.

Yes, Yes, Yes. A moderator really should make the Throwing thread a Sticky.

Oct 25, 2009
Ok so the throwmax will be on the front steps today when we get home. I figured it was worth a shot. As always thanks for the advice.

I've used the ThrowMax to prevent the arm from bending at the elbow. It prevents the arm from bending any more than about 90º if I recall. I agree that you don't use the "L" model. But that's not the real benefit of the ThrowMax.

If the bicep is pinched that will cause the pie-type throw. The ThrowMax does help with that flaw.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
She is almost 8. She has a pretty good glove, her throwing seems to really be holding her back and it is very frustrating for her. She really beats herself up when she makes a mistake.

Here is why I asked... DD is 8 in this and I feel we got catching going real good. This is the first time she ever tried to throw overhand with power... Hope your doing better than we were at this point :{))

Throwing Lessons #1 - YouTube

I told DD I would learn to throw underhanded since she was learning to throw... First lesson $400 for new camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgMBvyNeETA&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA