The rules on hit batsmen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ok, this is for all the parents who are new to travel ball, having just moved up from rec ball. It's also for those umpires who are allowing themselves to be bullied into make the wrong call.

In ASA and as far as I know every other sanctioning body, there is no limit to the number of batters a pitcher can hit, whether in an inning or a game. I repeat, there is no limit, other than how many baserunners the defensive team's coach will allow to be on base.

I understand you hate to see your daughter be hit by the ball, especially by a pitcher who is throwing hard. You also don't want your daughter to have to face that pitcher in case she might strike out. Better to get that pitcher out of there any way you can.

Again I say to you, there is no limit to the number of batters the pitcher can hit. So quit complaining and demanding that the pitcher be taken out. And you young umpires out there, quit letting those parents talk you into it. Read your rulebook, both for what's there and what's not. It's your responsibility to know.

There. I feel better now.

More...

Aug 16, 2010
2 years ago in pool play we played a young team which just moved up to 14u. They were throwing a new pitcher who was consistent in mid 50s. She hit 7 batters in 1st inning before I walked over to their coach - a decent friend - and said if she hits one more I'm throwing my ace and the catcher will set up behind the rib cage for the first 5 batters. I was serious - he knew it and he pulled her. I agree there is no "rule" however if it is obvious that your pitcher is having this much control trouble - remember its a round world.

May 25, 2010
2 years ago in pool play we played a young team which just moved up to 14u. They were throwing a new pitcher who was consistent in mid 50s. She hit 7 batters in 1st inning before I walked over to their coach - a decent friend - and said if she hits one more I'm throwing my ace and the catcher will set up behind the rib cage for the first 5 batters. I was serious - he knew it and he pulled her. I agree there is no "rule" however if it is obvious that your pitcher is having this much control trouble - remember its a round world.

Both you and the other coach have problems if he's dumb enough to give your team that many free bases and you're dumb enough to openly threaten the other team's players.

I know your job is to protect your girls, but in that situation, why not have your players set up way off the plate and take the free walks?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My dd has very good control. Last week we played a team where the batters
were habitually crowding the plate. She hit one in the knee and one in the hip
on first pitch of respective at bats. The team magically stopped crowding. My catcher
calls inside heat to every girl who is 'standing on the plate'. I do not coach hitting
like this, but some teams do. I gladly gave up consecutive baserunners and left with a 3-1 win

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma