The norm for throwing warm ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2012
New member here, a grandparent who has been away from the game a long time.

Is the norm for throwing warm ups still.

Wrist flick for rotation.
Glove under elbow, throw from elbow and wrist.
Then move back and throw?

Working with my 7 year old grand daughter and saw some people and the ball field doing this still and some doing some different things.

Thank you for your help.

Jan 25, 2011
Wrist flicks,glove under the elbow, I think are the biggest waste of time there is. If you teach the correct way to throw overhand to begin with, then start out slow and stay close and move away from each other as the arm gets warmer and then you can let her throw a little harder. But even before you throw have her do some dynamic warm ups, not static stretching. Get the blood flowing and the muscles ready for activity.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If I had to teach my DD to throw at a young age I would have started with a smaler ball. I think even a size 11'' softball is to big for little girls hands. Having smaller hands makes them shot put the ball instead of throw the ball. Start with a small ball like a tennis ball. Then work up to a softer baseball, then a maybe a smaller size softball. Atleast when your DD gets a 11'' softball in her hand she atleast has the proper motion.JMHO

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Welcome. Short answer is, yes that tends to be the norm, not necessarily ideal
The reason for nano's reaction is that many people are no longer convinced the wrist flick is meaningful, and perhaps downright harmful.

Why Your Softball Players Have Elbow Pain: Wrist Flick Edition

I did find this as an example of good mechanics, there are many discussions you can search and video examples for what is considered good form, though as you will see, there are varying opinions on that as well.

Training Movement Patterns: What Sport Specificity Really Means

Warmup for my DD, who's spent a lot of time on mechanics, is a short jog and start throwing easy and close. Then we add speed and distance until she's popping at a range that makes sense for whatever it is she has to do that day. Then we stop because she's WARM.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I have also moved away from the "wrist flick" drill. You want them to learn how to let the ball roll off their fingers to get the correct top-to-bottom rotation. This is not done by consciously "snapping the wrist" but should happen naturally with proper throwing mechanics. To demonstrate have them hold the ball in front, elbow bent at 90 deg, palm up, and use their fingers to toss the ball straight up with the correct rotation. They can practice this at home while reading, watching TV, etc. Explain why they want to have the correct spin on the ball: it will go straighter and faster.

First drill we have them start facing their partner and making half-arm throws while focusing on the correct ball rotation. Similar to a short throw you would use in a run-down situation.

Next drill with throwing side knee on ground, glove side foot on the ground pointed towards partner. This gets the shoulders in a line pointing toward the target. Focus on a good follow through resulting in arm on the opposite side of the front leg.

Then we move on to regular easy throws and gradually increase the distance.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I put a piece of elec. tape on our ball, it lets you see the rotation. I disagree with the good coach on getting on the knee... everything must have the full rhythm, with a weight transition of back to front, just like everything else, throwing, pitching & hitting. Tongue to target of the cleat on the dragging foot for all 3.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA