The Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Cornbread

We often say load the scap, where we want to clap down the scap. It isn’t load and unload, It’s clap down and hold it to stretch.
The intrinsic muscles of the scapula include the muscles of the rotator cuff—the subscapularis, teres minor, supraspinatus, and infraspinatus.[3] These muscles attach to the surface of the scapula and are responsible for the internal and external rotation of the shoulder joint, along with humeral abduction.

Rather than concentrating on the shoulder blade, have them concentrate on the continual movement of the elbow pulling back during the stride to heel plant? A body in motion tends to stay in motion. One can visually see the increase in bat speed.

Edit: The younger kids do not have the flexibility of a rubber band. They are more like a slinky. ;)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
The intrinsic muscles of the scapula include the muscles of the rotator cuff—the subscapularis, teres minor, supraspinatus, and infraspinatus.[3] These muscles attach to the surface of the scapula and are responsible for the internal and external rotation of the shoulder joint, along with humeral abduction.

Rather than concentrating on the shoulder blade, have them concentrate on the continual movement of the elbow pulling back during the stride to heel plant? A body in motion tends to stay in motion. One can visually see the increase in bat speed.

Edit: The younger kids do not have the flexibility of a rubber band. They are more like a slinky. ;)
The continual movement of pulling the elbow back (continuously loading the upper) can only happen if timing is good. This component of a good swing will be missing if the swing is rushed. One of the many symptoms of a rushed swing is an early elbow slot

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Cornbread

We often say load the scap, where we want to clap down the scap. It isn’t load and unload, It’s clap down and hold it to stretch.
The scap has to unload. It slots the elbow. I don't think you have to actively think about it. I guess you could over do it (like everything else) and have the elbow racing ahead of the hands. It would be very unnatural to clamp down and hold scap loaded thru out the swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The scap has to unload. It slots the elbow. I don't think you have to actively think about it. I guess you could over do it (like everything else) and have the elbow racing ahead of the hands. It would be very unnatural to clamp down and hold scap loaded thru out the swing.

No the back arm abducts and supinates. The scap remains pinched, doesn’t unload to slot the elbow. You cannot think unload.

giphy.gif

What do you mean about throughout the swing?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
You prepare to swing and then swing.
So my next question would be, shouldn’t the focus of working with hitters be on the preparation to swing? Everything leading up to launch. If they prepare to swing properly (and on time) how much time should be spent on things that occur after launch? How likely is it that if they get prepared to swing well, they put a good swing on the ball? I guess my point is that the load is the most essential component to having a good swing. Thus, this thread.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
My last opinion here...Every video you show is not the hands starting the swing, it's the shoulder movement starting the bat motion forward, that is uncoiling from the hips and torso then the hands take over. You are being way too litteral on the ground thing...I speak starting from the ground up, as in that controls weight load and timing, plus the leverage from un-coiling violently.

Somehow I forgot to address this. Maybe bc you didn’t tag me. Here are a few of the greats showing hands first, while the shoulders stay in place. I understand why you think the shoulders move things. But as you can see the top hand is moving way before any shoulder movement has occurred. Shoulders swings are long, slow and not adjustable.

1677520447178.gif

1677520550709.gif

1677520592903.gif

1677522464129.gif
A great swing will have the shoulders still countering while the hands are attempting to come forward. Like the examples above. The hands are applying forces down, out and forward. You actually swing against your shoulders and to an extent the hips. I prefer to teach that through sequence more than resistance.

Usage of the hands is the only way to not get ‘front shoulder pull off’ which so many kids suffer from which ends careers early. That force pattern always creates the inability to hit the outside pitch and/or off speed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles