The Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Yes, but not until after com has been shifted forward (fyb) against the middle being stretched.

Great drill to feel the importance of getting the shift out of the way before launch. Leveraging all available resources.

http://i.imgur.com/CaJ2CP1.gifv
How important do you think the shift forward matters for timing? Players I’ve worked with that do not move forward tend to be late. Players I’ve worked with that shift more forward tend to have good timing. You see two types of loads. Front foot up and shift weight forward (AJ current swing) and front foot up and weight stays back (Alo comes to mind).

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes, but not until after com has been shifted forward (fyb) against the middle being stretched.

Great drill to feel the importance of getting the shift out of the way before launch. Leveraging all available resources.

http://i.imgur.com/CaJ2CP1.gifv

I like the waking sequence to shift to dynamic before committal. Hands back against the knee type thing. Not the only way. Of course you can make it sagittal based. Or frontal and sagittal. Transverse by itself seems to not work so well. Nothing really shifts imo. At least naturally.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
How important do you think the shift forward matters for timing? Players I’ve worked with that do not move forward tend to be late. Players I’ve worked with that shift more forward tend to have good timing. You see two types of loads. Front foot up and shift weight forward (AJ current swing) and front foot up and weight stays back (Alo comes to mind).

Whatever allows one to get lead side leverage during the stretch. Without you will lack resources to control and direct the whip of the barrel..This is what slows the ball down vs being late.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
IMO this is step 1 to becoming and elite hitter. The brain is good! It will prepare the body to swing if the hitter is fully committed to swinging at every pitch. If there is any indecision the load will be compromised.
Assume your referring to yes, yes, no?

Aug 20, 2017
Assume your referring to yes, yes, no?
Correct but it’s more than that. It’s attitude! It’s making the pitcher feel your swing! It’s daring the pitcher to throw a strike. And it’s always expecting the pitchers hardest pitch. The ability to put a consistently powerful (good stretch, no compromising positions to just make contact) swing on elite pitching is to have the above mentality. No thought of “get a good pitch”. No indecision! Get that conquered first. My goal with this thread is how to train the hitter to mentally and mechanically put a powerful swing on every pitch. Attack the ball. What does your swing look like when you foul a ball off? Did the pitcher feel it?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Agree with everything above! I’ve worked with a few hitters lately that can put the ball in play against high level pitching. But they can’t put a powerful swing on the ball vs high level pitching. They bypass the slow stretch/load/float phase and just try to get to foot down quickly. Rear elbow slots early, upper moves forward after foot down, contact is inconsistent. They are solid hitters but will never become elite hitters w/o learning the slow stretch/load/float.

There are a lot of pushers for sure.

Jul 31, 2019
There are a lot of pushers for sure.
Timing on this post could not be better! I've really been focussing on loading and leg kick, for both timing and increased power. I'm looking for good/new drills to use with hitters of all ages. What are some of everyones favorites?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Correct but it’s more than that. It’s attitude! It’s making the pitcher feel your swing! It’s daring the pitcher to throw a strike. And it’s always expecting the pitchers hardest pitch. The ability to put a consistently powerful (good stretch, no compromising positions to just make contact) swing on elite pitching is to have the above mentality. No thought of “get a good pitch”. No indecision! Get that conquered first. My goal with this thread is how to train the hitter to mentally and mechanically put a powerful swing on every pitch. Attack the ball. What does your swing look like when you foul a ball off? Did the pitcher feel it?

I wouldn’t think you can find this mentally or mechanically. I think this plays into the pitchers hands at the end of the day dont forget you’re going against the greatest hitters number 1 rule.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01