T-Work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
1) When using the hitting Tee, it seems that most of my girls hit the ball to opposite field. Is that because they are setting up with hitting tee lined up in the center? Not sure if I am explaining myself correctly with that but they set up
with the hitting tee in the center of the plate and it aligns right up the middle of their body.

2) Is there a proper way to have then set up when using it. I tell them to stand in the box where they normally stand.

Oct 10, 2011
They're hitting it oppo because it is deep on the plate. If it were out front a little more with their front foot it would probably go closer to center field depending on their mechanics. I like doing deep tee work but you could move it around for some long tee work.
Tee Work Fundamentals | Baseball Zone

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
It sounds like the tee is set up in a good position. Have them adjust to hit the ball up the middle. They might have to adjust their swing (swing comes from behind the hip, i.e.). Or they could be too close to the plate (pretty common). Adjust the batter, not the tee.

Don't forget to practice right field drives from a deep, outside tee. About the only way to learn not to slice a lower outside pitch is to actually practice hitting it. Mix in LOTS of actual outside pitches with requirement to hit it to right field. They'll hate it until they start hitting right field gappers. I think it's one of the most important drills!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
1) When using the hitting Tee, it seems that most of my girls hit the ball to opposite field. Is that because they are setting up with hitting tee lined up in the center? Not sure if I am explaining myself correctly with that but they set up
with the hitting tee in the center of the plate and it aligns right up the middle of their body.

2) Is there a proper way to have then set up when using it. I tell them to stand in the box where they normally stand

If a batter gets a pitch down the middle, she wants to hit it at the front foot, not ''right up the middle of her body''. So if I'm understanding what you're saying, it's expected (almost guaranteed) that your players will hit it to the opposite field if the tee is lined up at their belly buttons. Ideally, they would not let a 'down-the-middle' pitch get that deep. They would hit the ball earlier (at the front foot). If it's an outside pitch, they would let the ball travel deeper, perhaps to the middle of the body, but even then maybe sooner.

Check this out from Jessica Mendoza -

I like iMlearning's link. He also mentioned 'deep tee work'. ... I think what he's saying is that you can leave the tee where you have it - down the middle at the belly button - and ask them to attempt to hit that up the middle. The goal would be to teach them to hit 'inside the ball' or 'inside out' and not cast or lock the front arm to soon. To hit that ball up the middle, which is not easy from that ball location, you have to get the bat on plane with the pitch early. But that's a drill to encourage certain mechanics. It's not where a batter strives to make contact on a real pitch.

Hope someone will challenge me if that's wrong b/c I've been using that lately. :)

Last edited:
R

RayR

Demo
MendozaDemo_zps7e611473.jpg

Real Swing
MendozaReal_zpsebd57f08.jpg

Compare front elbows.....Don't let your players think that they should be pinning the front elbow down and driving their hands down to the ball....

Jan 24, 2009
To the OP's question: It is a crap shoot to tell someone where to place the tee without knowing where the player sets up in the seven foot long batters box.

With regards to the video in this thread, I strongly recommend you have the player set up in the same place *relative to the plate* for every tee swing. To practice inside/outside, you move THE TEE, not the player. I wouldn't tell the player to move closer or further from the plate as is demonstrated.

IMO, most people botch tee work (some olympians included, smile) because they do not know how to set up. Get a tee like the tanner or schutt which does not have a home plate shaped base. Have the player always set up on a plate in the position she normally would, then place the tee accordingly for inside, outside, middle when working those locations. Again, the important part is that the location of the tee/ball changes, but the batter's position relative to the plate does not.

Good luck!
VW

Last edited:

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Quite a chicken wing.

She'll never amount to anything.

Who considers that Chicken winging?

Chicken winging is when the lead elbow pulls across the body sucking in the hands. Not when it raises up off the body. Her elbow is in a good position.

R

RayR

Apparently O'leary can make a post with nothing constructive (which is typical of him) and it won't get deleted.....and yes Hyp - he still cannot tell the difference between a chicken wing and good front arm movement....

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
IMO, set up of the T is determined by what you are working on.

If you are just talking in general placement.

1) Inside - out in front of front foot
2) Middle - between front foot and lead knee
3) Outside - between front hip and belly button

Pretty good guidelines and you can adjust off of that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06