Bat size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
My granddaughter has been swinging a 33 -10, for a few years now. She is 5’3, 115lns. and will most likely not be getting any taller. She’ll be 17 in a week.
My question is, she has had a line drive, gap to gap swing that has gotten very near to the fences at times. She’s hit a few over in practice. My question is, she is due for a new bat and I’m wondering if there would be any value going to a 32 -10 bat for maybe a bit more bat speed? Not interested in home run power, just more exit velocity and don’t want to make a mistake with such an expensive purchase.
Would the shorter, lighter bat work against this or help?

May 13, 2023
My granddaughter has been swinging a 33 -10, for a few years now. She is 5’3, 115lns. and will most likely not be getting any taller. She’ll be 17 in a week.
My question is, she has had a line drive, gap to gap swing that has gotten very near to the fences at times. She’s hit a few over in practice. My question is, she is due for a new bat and I’m wondering if there would be any value going to a 32 -10 bat for maybe a bit more bat speed? Not interested in home run power, just more exit velocity and don’t want to make a mistake with such an expensive purchase.
Would the shorter, lighter bat work against this or help?

imo stay with 33". Because she is familiar with the length. Bats can be very light shorter bat is not really necessary.

Would consider looking at what she could do to produce more energy from her body.

For instance how much, if any, muscle strengthening is she doing?
Even push-ups can show results that translate into exit velocity.

Aug 5, 2022
Don’t drop to a 32. Even the smallest 17 yr olds should be able to handle a 33 drop 10. Kids are hitting it over the fence in 10u so if she’s not even occasionally at 17 her swing is leaking power somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think that is a little harsh. if DD played a 2nd year of 10U with the 11' ball a am pretty sure she would have hit a couple over the fence. She played through 18U TB and never hit one over the fence. I am also sure she could have gotten some sort of SB scholarship but she wanted to focus on her school and got various academic scholarships instead.

Oct 3, 2019
Well, we're actually happy with her swing, feel the homeruns will happen as she's gotten very close. Her AVG., OPS and other metrics are really good and the ball gets out there pretty quick. What got me thinking about this though is, my finding a brand new, Easton FP18GH10, in a 32" length. Can also get a 33, but it's about $600 more. Just trying to find a reason to rationalize purchasing that bat.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Its not what will work against what...its what bat size fits her. Every player has a perfect weight. Just because you drop down
to a 32/22, doesnt mean she will add swing speed and exit velo. Could give her less drive off the bat because its less mass
going thru the ball.
Too many think lighter the bat, means she will swing faster...thats not true. You have a real game speed. You can pick up a toothpick of a bat,
dry swing it and go oh my, look how fast I swing...haha. Guess what, that doesnt happen in a game. Too light a bat hurts as much as too heavy.

Secondly, dont waste your money on the dumb prices the 2018 Ghosts go for...its not any better than the new Ghosts. And you also
get no warranty for that huge money. 600 bucks isnt gonna buy her better results compared to 300-400

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414