So happy I could cry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Verity Long-Droppert! How do you forget a name like that? Is she your neighbor? I know she is from the Perth area. She is one of the gazelles I was talking about on the National Team.

LOL, forgot about Verity. I don't know her as well as the other three, but yes I do know her.

Oct 19, 2009
Great news and I'm glad to hear of anyone on the forum having sucess. A big pat on the back!!!!! :cool:

One of the coaches at a college who talked to my daughter told her she was going to Australia to attend a softball clinic and would be out of the country for about a week and kind of made a big deal out of it. It was the last part of November or the first part of December in 2011.

Just out of curiosity if you may have known what clinic she would have attended in Australia?

In fact I am right now!

As I said earlier I was the assistant coach of my s tate team over here. I learnt a lot in the week we went away, the most important bit being that I have a LOT to learn. I really hope I get the opportunity next year again and to keep learning.

They've just announced the A ussi e junior squads and three of our girls made it! (plus girls from the older team as well) Sitting here at work bawling my eyes out right now at work. So, so, so proud of those girls who worked their tooshes off and are now getting their rewards.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
LOL, forgot about Verity. I don't know her as well as the other three, but yes I do know her.

Very good! Every time they announced her name in Oklahoma City, everyone stopped what they were doing and looked up at the score-board. The Aussies didn't fare as well as I expected. I felt they should have finished 3rd, but to be honest, the coach made a fatal coaching error in their last game during international tie-breaker. The Russian coach did exactly the same thing at the European Championships. I am even thinking of starting a thread to discuss it. It might be interesting to High School and youth coaches.

Mar 13, 2010
Very good! Every time they announced her name in Oklahoma City, everyone stopped what they were doing and looked up at the score-board. The Aussies didn't fare as well as I expected. I felt they should have finished 3rd, but to be honest, the coach made a fatal coaching error in their last game during international tie-breaker. The Russian coach did exactly the same thing at the European Championships. I am even thinking of starting a thread to discuss it. It might be interesting to High School and youth coaches.

Well guess who put me over the fence tonight? :) It's my own fault. Got 2-0 up against her, freaked slightly the hell out and then gave her a watermelon. Yeah, didn't end well

Then again I'm a obese 28 year old and pitched three digs against state players, most under 20 and that was the only run scored. I'm happy!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well guess who put me over the fence tonight? :) It's my own fault. Got 2-0 up against her, freaked slightly the hell out and then gave her a watermelon. Yeah, didn't end well

Then again I'm a obese 28 year old and pitched three digs against state players, most under 20 and that was the only run scored. I'm happy!

Strewth! G'arn, it was Verity Long-Droppert? That would be a little ironic. Hey, avago you mug! You are the real dinky-di Lozza, not some never-never sandgroper. One run? That is absolutely grouse by my standards! I was the perennial dag! I don't mean to go all grizzly on ya, 'cause I was the 1st string SS, but a swagman as the 3rd string pitcher. I never pitched a game giving up only one run! chin up mate! We played by Rafferty's rules when I pitched!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Looooool, I have no idea what you're saying! ;-)

Aren't you from Australia, or were you born here in the US? I was trying to use every Aussie slang term I ever learned in one paragraph! I failed :) So was it Verity that hit the home run or someone else?

Strewth=shock, or is it really true? G'arn=your kidding?, Avago you mug= performing your best, dinky-di=the real deal, never-never sandgroper=someone from the outback and a tramp, or as they say in Adelaide, a Western Australian, grouse=outstanding, dag=loser, grizzle=complain, swagman=loser, Raferty's rules=chaos!

Strewth! G'arn, it was Verity Long-Droppert? That would be a little ironic. Hey, avago you mug! You are the real dinky-di Lozza, not some never-never sandgroper. One run? That is absolutely grouse by my standards! I was the perennial dag! I don't mean to go all grizzly on ya, 'cause I was the 1st string SS, but a swagman as the 3rd string pitcher. I never pitched a game giving up only one run! chin up mate! We played by Rafferty's rules when I pitched!

Mar 13, 2010
Aren't you from Australia, or were you born here in the US? I was trying to use every Aussie slang term I ever learned in one paragraph! I failed :) So was it Verity that hit the home run or someone else?

Yup. But a lot of it is very old Strine. Strewth is something you'd see Alf Stewart on Home and Away say (daily soap on Aussie TV. The Brits love it) or someone making fun of someone. G'arn I think is actually Cockney (only time I've ever heard it was in My Fair Lady) avago you mug is old fashioned. Sandgroper is a West Aussie but it's one I had forgotten : - ) grouse I hear occasionly. Dag was a tad confusing because I'd never heard it that way, swagman I've never heard that interpretation! Rafferty's Rules was a TV show in the 70s but I've honestly never heard that saying. You're more likely to hear a young Aussie say 'heaps' or something a bit more modern. A lot of that (besides dag) is not something I'd hear in every day conversation.

It was Verity that hit the home run. I knew it the second it came off the bat it was gone. Thankfully she was first up so not much harm done. We still won the dig though! (and found out the next day we won something like 22-2. Shame it wasn't money based on runs!)

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Ha! Well I am going to have to change my slang! I learned some of this stuff while in Vietnam and shortly after. I had a job offer in Canberra, and I thought I should learn how to talk Aussie. I really practiced it, and I remember more Aussie slang than I remember French; and I went to the University in France. But then again, the French are more forgettable than Aussies!

Well I will empty my slang bank and start over. 22-2? Yeah, if there was money involved you could call it "Money Ball"!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan