Slapper defense

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2015
For HS age , how do you guys defend slappers as far as positioning? With a runner on and bases empty

Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
The shift is becoming more popular by us. That comes in a variety of forms including adding a 5th infielder on the left side with all pitches on the outside corner.

Apr 25, 2019
Here is a slap coverage that we faced back in 12u. Our little slapper still managed to get a hit but you can get a feel for what it looked like. The first pitch was normal coverage and then they shift into a "slap" coverage. Not sure how common this is. I'm sure if there was a power slapper it wouldn't be so effective.

May 27, 2013
Be careful doing slap defense on a player who can read the defense well and can bunt, soft slap, hard slap, or hit away depending on where you place fielders. Your pitcher better be able to hit her spot and hit it well!

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Here is a slap coverage that we faced back in 12u. Our little slapper still managed to get a hit but you can get a feel for what it looked like. The first pitch was normal coverage and then they shift into a "slap" coverage. Not sure how common this is. I'm sure if there was a power slapper it wouldn't be so effective.

love the fact she was still able to get a hit after all that.

Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL

From the Dad of a slapper, I think they positioned the players wrong in this scenario. I would keep 3rd base tight, short in a little more than normal, bring the right fielder to play short of second base to cover up the middle. Having short and third so tight is redundant, the third baseman should be able to cover all that area from the third base line to the pitcher. Then need to make sure everything the pitcher throws is on the outside corner. A good slapper knows that all they have to do is get it past the pitcher, you do that and have sub 3 second speed to first, your safe.

Jun 11, 2012
DD loves to start an at bat ready to slap and get them to move in the outfield. Then she’ll swing away and on a good day put it behind them.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Be careful doing slap defense on a player who can read the defense well and can bunt, soft slap, hard slap, or hit away depending on where you place fielders. Your pitcher better be able to hit her spot and hit it well!
This 👆✅

The pitch may not go where its intended to.
And
The batter may not do what you think.

May 29, 2019

I'm curious what the game situation was there, as that "defense" is a two-RBI triple just waiting to happen.

May 29, 2019
At HS, I mostly just see the corners move in, shortstop moving up and into the 5-6 hole a few more steps while the CF and RF shift in and little to their right. Pitcher pitches outside and outside corner. Nothing too crazy. Of course, talent level can change things. There will always be a hole for a talented slapper to hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd