Sklz power wedge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I saw that one of the members here uses the Sklz Power Wedge with his students to teach weight shift. Does anyone else here use it. I was just curious when the "Click" should happen. Before the hands move?
We started to use a wedge behind the rear foot about a month ago and I decided to go ahead and get this since I found it for 10 bucks on the bay. Thanks SKLZ Power Wedge: Golf : Walmart.com

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I love the concept. I've been using this concept for a while. It really isolates the front leg and the kids will "feel" what a firm front side feels like once their weight shifts. I don't have the skills brand. I made one out of 3/4" plywood, except mine is 12" wide x 8" deep and 4" tall on the back edge and 2" on the front edge. (And it doesn't click) For a younger kid or a girl with too little or no linear movement this tool is invaluable.
To answer your specific question about the click. It should click equal to the start of the hands, which is immediately after the front foot heel plants.
You should look up "hitters power drive" online... its a much better version and its specific to baseball and softball. You will find some drills for it that could be applied to your wedge.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I love the concept. I've been using this concept for a while. It really isolates the front leg and the kids will "feel" what a firm front side feels like once their weight shifts. I don't have the skills brand. I made one out of 3/4" plywood, except mine is 12" wide x 8" deep and 4" tall on the back edge and 2" on the front edge. (And it doesn't click) For a younger kid or a girl with too little or no linear movement this tool is invaluable.
To answer your specific question about the click. It should click equal to the start of the hands, which is immediately after the front foot heel plants.
You should look up "hitters power drive" online... its a much better version and its specific to baseball and softball. You will find some drills for it that could be applied to your wedge.
That's actually how I found out about the Sklz. The power drive is really expensive and this person said the Sklz worked very well for the purpose. It looked like golfers liked it except for that it slid too easy on grass etc... That won't be a problem for me. I made the wedge out of wood also for DD but this was to cheap not to try:)

Oct 10, 2011
My DD's hips and hands rotate together unless I'm doing a drill and constantly reminding her. Her hitting coach is throwing her a lot of change ups to really show her why moving them together will hurt her.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My DD's hips and hands rotate together unless I'm doing a drill and constantly reminding her. Her hitting coach is throwing her a lot of change ups to really show her why moving them together will hurt her.

My dd told me a month ago that during bp the voice in her head is every swing is saying "stretch.......................and fire"

Oct 10, 2011
That is the answer to the hips and hands speration. Exaggerate the stretch.........

This morning I put a sign up behind the net that said "Hips go forward, hands stay back" I think I stole that from Straightleg.
The stretch disappears when going against live pitching.

Oct 10, 2011
My dd told me a month ago that during bp the voice in her head is every swing is saying "stretch.......................and fire"

That's great! My DD's coach told her, her voice should say "Yes, Yes, Yes,.... " then maybe no depending on the pitch.
Maybe I'll have her having multiple voices in her head. I know how that feels.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06