Shaved bat and what to do about it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2012
You're assuming the kid didn't know. I'll bet she did. I also think she should be disciplined whether she knew or not. I'm not talking about kicking them off the team. Talk to the parents and kid together. Let them know it's illegal and can hurt someone. Let them know that they can get into some serious trouble if someone get hurt. She can't use the bat and if it happens again she'll be cut. The real problem is that the parents will just pick up and play for another team that doesn't care. Very sad!

There is not really any doubt in my mind that the kid knew. She is 8 years old and even if she was told it was shaved, wouldn't know what it meant.

Nov 6, 2011
There is not really any doubt in my mind that the kid knew. She is 8 years old and even if she was told it was shaved, wouldn't know what it meant.

I've seen it way too many time. Dad tells his DD "give me your bat, I'm going to fix it so you hit the ball really far" The kid doesn't know what a "shaved Bat" is, she doesn't know it's illegal and can hurt someone because she wasn't told. This fact doesn't make it right. The sad part is she won't learn it from her parents so it's the coaches responsibility to tell the kid in front of the parents that it's illegal, let the parents acknowledge it in front of the kid and tell them it won't be tolerated. Very Sad!!!!!!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Look, blaming the kid is the most rediculaous thing I've ever heard. At 8 she's knows no different from the dad "making" the bat better, than oiling and conditioning her glove to make it better. No way does she understand the seriousness and legality side of altering a bat, and who can blame her........she's still a very young kid. Parents are to blame 100%, the child is just caught up in the middle. Thats what is sad.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If anyone here has had kids around 8 years old in the last 50 years, then you know if want something kept secret, they are the last one you would tell!

If one takes 5 seconds and googles bat shaving you will see that they all offer: bats for sale already shaved; service to have the bat you just ordered from somewhere else sent to them, then on to you; or "1 day turn around service."
So you could order your 8 year old an already shaved bat, or take her's out of the bag ship it in to have shaved, and have it back in the bag in just a few days. She would never know.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy