Scratching my head

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Living in rural Southern Illinois it's hard to find good instruction. We had an excellent pc that brought my daughter a long way. But now she is gone. Last couple weeks we have tried a couple different instructors. Unfortunately both we have tried promote mechanics we have tried to avoid. No closing the hips but hand behind the ball.
The first coach is her hitting coach and does a good job but dd didn't feel comfortable. Said he was telling herr things that I have said to avoid(notably hand behind the ball) So we tried a local high school girl who is going on to play in college next year. First lesson went great, but the second lesson I noticed she was trying to get dd to do the dreaded HE. Didn't say anything to instructor,yet, but talked to dd and told her I did not want her doing that. Rest of mechanics look really good, but no offense, this girl is not an elite pitcher.
Unfortunately, living in So. IL our options are limited. Making regular long distance drives are not really an option right now either.
So I though maybe I could find someone to do online lessons. But everyone I have spoken with charges way more than I wm use to paying. Jumping up to $200 a mos for 2 lessons, which basicly amount to video analysis is a little much right now. I know that some of you in other areas prolly pay that much(or more) but I doubt I can get that to fly with DW. Of course, I realize that you get what you pay for. Guess I will just bite the bullet.
Makes me wonder how elite pitchers ever learned. Maybe that is why most elite players come from the same reletive areas. I don't know that my dd will ever be elite, but I would like her to have the best resources she can to be as good as she wants.

May 17, 2012
I would say that a PC that believes in pitching the way you do doesn't make them totally worthless. My DD's pitching coach tried to teach Hello Elbow and I have told him that I don't agree and he can leave that part of her form alone. He has been great with teaching her off-spead pitches (ironically the hello elbow goes away when he demonstrates these pitches) and getting her to explode off the mound.

With winter coming on just paying for the use of the indoor facility is worth it.

Nov 15, 2011
Are you relatively near any colleges/universities with good teams? We have used several players from a local DI program as hitting and fielding coaches with excellent results.

May 31, 2012
You can teach her yourself. Hillhouse video or YouTube hillhouse and Anything boardmember says is the gospel. Learn the mechanics and practice with her a lot. If you are having an issue. Ask for help. People on this site are very knowledgeable and generous. The I/R thread made a light come on. I DVRed every softball game I could and watched the best pitchers in slow motion. I did the same thing for the swing. Enjoy the journey.

Oct 16, 2012
Have you tried to reach out to any of the area college coaches - they may give lessons, or know of someone in the area that does.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
We live in West Frankfort, Il.
Her former pc was an assistant at SIU in Carbondale, and she does attend camps there, but never got much of a response from anyone else there.
We will continue to look around. Dd really enjoys working with the girl she works with now, so she will prolly continue with her till we find someone else or high school season starts.
I have the Hillhouse dvd and much more. I have spent a lot of time studying pitching since she started. Funny thing is, she actually prefers me to work with her than anyone. I just really doubt myself when it comes to teaching her anything, I myself am learning. But perhaps this will be our approach in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish