Rundowns

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Can you link us to some video of that Groundball / Rundown execution drill being performed?

No not really! I created this drill, but I never thought about filming it. It was just in my book. I can say if the coaches can demonstrate first, or you teach two girls first and the others watch, it is picked up easier. It really helps to have 2 coaches there the first time.

I am going back to Europe in May. I might try to video tape it and some others then.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Did anyone grow up calling it the "Hot Box"? I never heard it be called a "Pickle" until I moved to Illinois....

Ha, I never heard it called a "pickle" until I talked to someone from Illinois! However, let me just say that if you live in "Central Greece", I mean Illinois now, you are in a pickle!

Oct 19, 2009
When I was a kid Hotbox was an actual game we played that emulated a rundown. But when played with a frisbee or tennis ball you were allowed to throw at the runner to get them out. (Games with a tennis ball could be BRUTAL). We also played with multiple runners going between two bases.

I never heard it called a "pickle" till one of my 10u girls I was coaching referred to it that way.

Feb 1, 2010
Midwest
10-4 Hornet! Thaaaat's right, we played that game too...memory is fading.

Steve, being in that "pickle" is why I moved back out of Illinois...luckily about 20 minutes before the suburban housing crash!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
10-4 Hornet! Thaaaat's right, we played that game too...memory is fading.

Steve, being in that "pickle" is why I moved back out of Illinois...luckily about 20 minutes before the suburban housing crash!

I referred to Illinois as our "Greece". Interestingly enough, Greece was the only real established ISF softball teams (31 total, 22 established, 9 started) that didn't come to the European Championships in Ronchi de Legionari, Italy this past summer! Gee, I wonder why? The value of a currency is largely established by a balance of available currency and the the value of the produced goods and services. By the time the Greek team got on the plane for the short trip to N.E. Italy, they had to de-board and work another year. After all, who is going to pay for the 45% of the work-force employed by government? It was sad to see them missing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck