Road to the LLWS 2023 edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2023
Why does it matter? Your kid isn’t going to lose her full ride to OU because of what some ESPN announcers think..

Who said anything about my kid or a scholarship?

I just commented on why wasn't was much interest on here because most people realize it isn't top teams, compared to the discussion about Sparkler/IDT for example.

Think it is fine ESPN wants to air that tournament for nostalgic reasons, but over-hyping that product doesn't help softball gain popularity IMO. Would be great if PGF or Alliance got that kind of coverage and showcased exactly how amazing some of these players are at a young age.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Watching the quality of play pretty obvious these teams are about the equivalent of middle/upper B level USSSA.

I'm not sure if the announcers are just pretending to be unaware or if they truly don't realize these aren't even close to the top teams in a region nonetheless the US.
And they can say they went to the LLWS and played on ESPN. Good for them. No need to demean their talent level. This will be a summer they'll remember their whole life.

Did you know Kat Sandercock was the starting pitcher for her LL team at the WS in 2013? It seemed to work out just fine for her playing against inferior competition.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023
And they can say they went to the LLWS and played on ESPN. Good for them. No need to demean their talent level. This will be a summer they'll remember their whole life.

I didn't think it was demeaning their talent, that is what it is.

But if ESPN decided to air a bunch of Rec level teams and tell all the viewers (most of whom don't know the difference like people here) they were the best in the country do you think that would be a good thing for softball just because it would be great experience for the players?

May 27, 2013
Who said anything about my kid or a scholarship?

I just commented on why wasn't was much interest on here because most people realize it isn't top teams, compared to the discussion about Sparkler/IDT for example.

Think it is fine ESPN wants to air that tournament for nostalgic reasons, but over-hyping that product doesn't help softball gain popularity IMO. Would be great if PGF or Alliance got that kind of coverage and showcased exactly how amazing some of these players are at a young age.
Last year the PGF finals were on one of the ESPN channels.

When you are on a discussion board where most contributors probably are involved in TB, that’s what you tend to stick with. It is still a pretty small world when you compare it to the popularity of Little League.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

But if ESPN decided to air a bunch of Rec level teams and tell all the viewers (most of whom don't know the difference like people here) they were the best in the country do you think that would be a good thing for softball just because it would be great experience for the players?
They've been airing the baseball LLWS forever, and I don't see anyone thinking these kids are beating the 27 Yankees. It's not designed to draw in a 17 year-old girl. It's designed to bring in the 7 year-old girls. They have no idea what PGF is, and maybe they'll never play travel, but in many areas of the country LL is their first exposure to the sport.

May 27, 2013

I really don’t think most people would care. If they want to watch, they’ll leave it on. If they are turned off by the “talent level,” they’ll change the channel.

Obviously, it is drawing in people whose kids play on higher level travel teams because they come on here and complain about it.

May 27, 2013
Also, most of the players on those teams that make it to the regional or WS level on TV are and have been playing TB.

May 17, 2023
They've been airing the baseball LLWS forever, and I don't see anyone thinking these kids are beating the 27 Yankees. It's not designed to draw in a 17 year-old girl. It's designed to bring in the 7 year-old girls. They have no idea what PGF is, and maybe they'll never play travel, but in many areas of the country LL is their first exposure to the sport.

And my point is if the goal is to grow the sport (which I'm a huge fan of) why not highlight the best product. Watching kids drop fly balls or lob it over the plate is not nearly as likely to draw in a 7 year old as watching a girl make a diving catch or rip one off the fence.

I'm constantly amazed at how good some of these girls are at such a young age. I think the vast majority of the public would be also.

May 17, 2023
Also, most of the players on those teams that make it to the regional or WS level on TV are and have been playing TB.

Yep for sure. The one that wins our state almost every year is made up of several Lower A/Upper B players in that town who roster together that one year with the intention of trying to make a run in the tournament. They aren't near the top of talent in TB nor are they committed LL players either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid