How to score this play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
In my opinion fielding statistics are mostly meaningless. You can have a SS with zero range make every play and field 1.000 and have another who handles the whole side of the infield and will make a throw on the run to try and get an out but throws in dirt. If you 1B was even decent it's an out, but instead she gets an error. If your pitchers hit spots your C will have few PB's, but if you call an inside drop and they fire a Rise into the other batters box the C might get a PB,etc. ERA depends a lot on the defense. If you pitch the 3rd pool game where you are trying out some new outfielders routing balls drop for hits,etc. You are also playing sometimes on fields that were last dragged when Nixon was president so the hops IF's get are awful. Combine all that with scorekeepers who range from guys who are on every pitch to ones you are just happy to be able to determine if that was a run or a mustard stain in the third inning it makes it tough to compare apples to apples. If you do keep score all you can really do is follow the rules. There is often judgement, but most of the time the rules are pretty straight forward. They are often not fair and often don't really accurately reflect the proficiency of the players, but they still need to be followed.

Jun 29, 2013
I agree canyonjoe. Interestingly enough, I ran this scenario past a friend who caught in the NPF and for a D1A school, and who also has coached for years. She agreed with my scoring calls. She also agreed wholeheartedly with your take that fielding percentage means nothing, she would take the catcher willing (and capable of) trying to make this play any day, as she is going to save her pitching staff a lot more runs over the course of the season.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00