Proper Relay

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
Softball is a little different than baseball. You almost never need a cutoff on a hit to the outfield unless you are talking 10u or younger.

From what I've seen, I don't agree with this statement. My DD plays 14U B level travel ball. I've seen outfielders try to throw out a runner going home from second over 20 times, and only once did the outfielder actually get the out. Most times, the result of the play is the runner scoring and the batter/runner advancing to second. At 14U B, the outfielders are strong enough to get the ball to home, but are not strong enough to get the ball to home in time to get the out. This might not be true in 14U A or older age groups, but it is certainly true in 14U B.

Given my experience, using a cut-off/relay is always the better approach. The cut-off/relay can then make the decision whether the play at home is a possible out or not. If not, they can then hold the batter/runner at first. Throwing directly home always advances the batter/runner to second.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
When you are trying to get a runner out at home from the out field, you should always have a cut off/ relay in position. If the 1st baseman is positioned about 40 feet in front of the catcher, the runner at 1st will have to hold up untill the ball gets past her, otherwise she would be a dead duck at 2nd. If the ball is off line, 1st has to cut, if the throw is late, she has to cut. The threat of a cut is usually enough to keep the runner at 1st.

When you see the runner automatically going to 2nd is normally when the throw is over all the infielders heads, and no one has a chance to cut it off. A throw at a height that can be cut will stop that. If the ball is on time and on line, it doesn't matter if it bounces, or rolls to the plate, 1st fakes the cut to freeze the runner, and lets it go through for a play at the plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck