Proper Relay

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
Runner on first. Ground ball to right field. Who is proper relay for right fielder on throw to third- 2B or SS? High school team. Thanks.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think that would depend on a lot of other information.
How deep is the ball
How fast is the runner
Whats the game situation. Are you winning, losing, tied. Is it first inning, last inning...
How many outs??

Oct 22, 2009
PA
At 12U we teach our RF to make the throw to 3rd without a relay if they are charging a ground ball. In HS, it should be a no brainer.

Jan 15, 2009
At 12U we teach our RF to make the throw to 3rd without a relay if they are charging a ground ball. In HS, it should be a no brainer.

There still should be an interior cut-off even if you are throwing directly to 3B because sometimes in that situation if runner is fast enough, was stealing on pitch etc... you want to cut the ball in the infield for a chance to make a play on the batter trying for 2B.

I've always had very good fielding pitchers and I always had them be the interior cut, our HS coach uses F3 for all interior cuts (not a big fan of that because that begs batter in this sich to round hard and evaluate their options with no chance to get them at 1B once F3 vacates.)

May 14, 2010
There still should be an interior cut-off even if you are throwing directly to 3B because sometimes in that situation if runner is fast enough, was stealing on pitch etc... you want to cut the ball in the infield for a chance to make a play on the batter trying for 2B.

I've always had very good fielding pitchers and I always had them be the interior cut, our HS coach uses F3 for all interior cuts (not a big fan of that because that begs batter in this sich to round hard and evaluate their options with no chance to get them at 1B once F3 vacates.)

We use 1B as cutoff inside the diamond. Snocatz, I get what you are saying, but is holding that runner at 1B that important? 80-90% of the time in my world, that girl takes 2B on the next pitch anyway, with the runner on 3B. So I don't get excited about holding her. We don't give it to her, but I don't get worked up about it. Plus it is much easier for the P to back up 3B or Home than it is for anyone else.

Jun 16, 2011
Polson, MT
Here's what I have seen and coach on a consistent basis. If the players can remember this I almost always use the 2b as the cut becuase on a single on the right hand side of the field the runner on first will almost always challenge a throw from Right to 3rd. Here's where it gets tricky and the players have to know the situation.

1. If the ball is straight up and the right fielder can field it cleanly and get the throw to 3rd with a relay from 2nd that's the way it should work.

2. If the ball is straight up and the right fielder bobbles the ball any base coach worth a hill of beans will be challenging the throw on the way home. If the ball isn't fielded cleanly we use 1st as our cut. Reason being is that 1st is Left Handed and is a more natural throw to cut for 1st base to challenge the throw home.

This takes practice and repitition and a solid catcher and knowledgeable 2nd, 3rd and RF to know the situation and the runners.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
Maybe I'm looking at the situation differently. For those coaching "gurus" do not kill me for this one. If it is a sharply hit ground ball to shallow right field, have the rightfielder throw the ball to F3 who is covering 1st. Sometimes a batter/runner will slow up when the ball gets past the infield. Throwing the ball to 1st accomplishes a few things:
There is a possibility that the batter will be thrown out at 1st. base.
Also F3 has a clear view of the runner at 2nd after she receives the ball from the right-fielder. If the runner is going to third, F3 throws to third if she thinks she has a shot at getting the runner. If the runner rounds second and stops, F3 throws behind her to the shortstop covering 2nd base. If the batter/runner is safe at first, she will stay there if F-3 does not throw to third. Sometimes F3 could fake a throw to third and tag the aggressive batter/runner at 1st.
I know it may sound crazy, but sometimes it works. You have to keep the outfielders aggressive. We routinely throw runners out with throws from our Rightfielder and Centerfielder to 1st base. We incorporate this into every defensive practice. Sometimes it even catches the umpires off guard.
I will say every situation is different and this is only one of many scenarios that could play out. A lot depends on the number of outs, who is leading the game, the aggressiveness of the base runners and your outfielders throwing accuracy. Our philosophy on defensive is to limit big scoring innings for our opponents and get outs as easily as possible. Sometimes it is easier said than done.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I use the middle infielders as relay and 2nd base coverage. Ball hit to RF, SS covers 2nd, 2nd is relay. If it is a short hit or ground ball, RF should be charging and can throw to 3rd if nessessary. If the ball gets to the fence, 2nd should be positioned at the edge of the grass toward the ball and make the throw to 3rd or home as needed.

If it's a hard hit ground ball, or base hit, RF may try throwing to 1st or 2nd to get an out. If the ball is hit hard enough on the ground to get through the infield, RF throws to 1st, if the ball is in the air and the runner has to hold up to see if it will be caught, may be an easy out at 2nd. I know this wasn't the question, but thought I'd throw it out there. You are talking about HS girls (between 14 and 18 YO). You need a girl with a good arm in RF.

Agree with coach D'E. It's not crazy, it works.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
Softball is a little different than baseball. You almost never need a cutoff on a hit to the outfield unless you are talking 10u or younger. The actual play is to cut the ball and get the out at second and that is usually done by the SS since they are the closest to the lead play. This again is specific to softball and must be practiced because it goes against some of the fielding rules. You can have the pitcher cut but they are usally responsible for any ball that gets past the 3b.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32