Pre-Game Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would rather not hit, than hit off of a machine. I prefer TCB balls and front toss.

I watch UofA a lot. They do hit in the cages, prior to a game. They use tees and soft toss. But, an hour passes before they ever take the field. Visitors hit in the cages first, so I am certain that all it is, is more practice for them. No way hitting 1.5 hours prior to a game, is going to warm you up.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
When i first started in high school, the old game day routine, was hit the cages at 6 am, to hit off a machine. The kids hated this, i hated this. It did nothing as far as i could tell sept take the kids out of their rythm, and make them sleepy and grouchy for the rest of the day.
Pre game was side toss, as i watched all the kids tossed the balls right to the belly button, behind them, at their faces, you get the picture.
First thing i did, is BANNED side toss, no side toss, ever. This was not easy,( the head coach liked side toss) Changed that to Front toss up close, 15 or 20 feet, working the zones.
For some reason the kids have trouble doing the tossing(even though we practice the underhand scoop toss every day), so the coaches do the tossing.
The day before the game, about the only time during the season i use the machine, i crank up the speed, 65, as we face pitchers in the low mid 60's, (our pitchers about 49-52).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Sounds like a plan, Mann.

Howard Carrier taught me to place a tee out in front of the batter, where I want to toss the ball to, if I have to do side toss. I think that a small box, would work, too.

Oct 25, 2009
I find it hard to believe you're really serious about not swinging until game time! No different than starting a game without throwing or running or stretching beforehand. I do want to face the team that does try this experiment!

To the OP - my order of preference: live BP, machine BP, front toss w/ SBs, front toss w/ TCBs, tee and or side toss into net, dry swings. Or a reverse progression of all of the above! No plastic wiffle balls, ever! IME they tend to promote lunging (especially when windy).

Don't know how many consider it but think about how "unwarm" they will be by the time their turn at bat comes. The batting circle is just as good a place to warm the bat up as any.

We played the Clearwater Bullets during the dead heat of summer one year in the championship game. Years ago! They sat under the shade of the trees while we got hotter warming up. Both teams had played earlier so we were all warmed up I believe.

Whether it had anything to do with it I'm not sure but I believe they won like 2-1 or 3-2 maybe.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't know how many consider it but think about how "unwarm" they will be by the time their turn at bat comes. The batting circle is just as good a place to warm the bat up as any.

We played the Clearwater Bullets during the dead heat of summer one year in the championship game. Years ago! They sat under the shade of the trees while we got hotter warming up. Both teams had played earlier so we were all warmed up I believe.

Whether it had anything to do with it I'm not sure but I believe they won like 2-1 or 3-2 maybe.

Have you ever arrived very early at a pro BB, basketball, football etc game? What are the pros doing? Going through their real pre-game warm ups, which often end an hour or two before game time. After that they usually retire to the clubhouse/locker room for a quick bite and rest and relax until taking the field/court/rink for a quick re-warm up. Don't you think there might be a good reason they all follow similar routines? FWIW, following the same routine before every game becomes almost an obsession for some players. Wade Boggs was known for eating chicken and only left the dugout for pre-game on a minute ending in 7. And, in extreme cases, a player or manager will intentionally abandon the routine to break a slump or end a losing streak.

And I think we agree re multi-game days, a good warm up before the first game of the day may suffice for the entire day, especially in the heat when the team with the most energy often ends up being the last one standing.

Nov 23, 2012
TCB balls are the way to go!!!
You must swing in pregame but the drills really depend on the age group.
Throwing overhand, anything close to slowpitch & bat weights can destroy a young hitters timing come game time.
16U/ most 14U and up any type of hitting pregame should be good.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Have you ever arrived very early at a pro BB, basketball, football etc game? What are the pros doing? Going through their real pre-game warm ups, which often end an hour or two before game time. After that they usually retire to the clubhouse/locker room for a quick bite and rest and relax until taking the field/court/rink for a quick re-warm up. Don't you think there might be a good reason they all follow similar routines? FWIW, following the same routine before every game becomes almost an obsession for some players. Wade Boggs was known for eating chicken and only left the dugout for pre-game on a minute ending in 7. And, in extreme cases, a player or manager will intentionally abandon the routine to break a slump or end a losing streak.

And I think we agree re multi-game days, a good warm up before the first game of the day may suffice for the entire day, especially in the heat when the team with the most energy often ends up being the last one standing.

IMO, it is more about the routine and not varying from that routine. If you hit as part of your routine them you should hit. If you do not, then you shouldn't.

We always do a dynamic warm up prior to the game. My guys decided one day they didn't want to do it and luckily we played like crap. They broke the routine. The routine is more about getting your mind ready to play not the body. It does help get the body loose but it is more about the mind.

Oct 14, 2008
IMO, it is more about the routine and not varying from that routine. If you hit as part of your routine them you should hit. If you do not, then you shouldn't.

We always do a dynamic warm up prior to the game. My guys decided one day they didn't want to do it and luckily we played like crap. They broke the routine. The routine is more about getting your mind ready to play not the body. It does help get the body loose but it is more about the mind.

Until you pull a ham string from not being warmed up

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Until you pull a ham string from not being warmed up

Huh? I did say it gets the body loose but a routine is about the mind. Even without the dynamic warm up it isn't like they just sat on their a$$es up until game time. They just didn't do the routine. They didn't get ready to play like they usually do so they didn't play well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06