Post Game Awards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
When tournament games are time limit games , all players should at least jog (not necessarily sprint) off / on the field. Walking is unacceptable , regardless of the temperature.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I thought it was interesting that some do this in softball...I use to do the clap thing... post game for team success and individual plays.

Reminded me of Ohio State Buckeyes...so i took a look at who does this in college football. There are quite a few college football teams that do the stickers...and it stems from fighter pilots that got kills and successful missions. (See wikipedia Helmet sticker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

We probably all got them in kindergarten IF you earned it! :) Its a motivational thing, not about everyone being a winner. I wonder if...a lot of people don't use them because they couldn't 'honestly' give them to everyone and parents or someone complained about their kid not having one when everyone else does.

Kids like recognition for what they do accomplish...that isn't a bad thing.

Added: To the OP. It is not special... if it has no meaning. Example. Last year my dd was ruled ineligible to play varsity. When we finally got her eligible it was late in the season. As soon as she was eligible...the senior pitcher and her friends began ragging on her...cried to daddy when she found out my DD would pitch next game...the whole bit. DD only got to pitch 2.5 games. Won the two she pitched...got them out of bad situation relieving the senior pitcher in the other. They put dd through hell...but DD kept a good attitude all year. So the coach wanted to reward her at the end of the season during awards ceremony. He gave her the "Team Player Award"....then called that senior pitcher up and gave her the same thing. I just looked at him...like 'what the heck'. DD doesn't have that on her wall...as it has no meaning to her.

That said...using stickers for team success should mean everyone will get stickers. I would make it have meaning individually regardless of parents complaints.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
There is a difference between HUSTLE and RUNNING FAST.

The team needs to sprint onto the field every time, hot or not. If for no other reason than to demonstrate to Blue that HIS TIME is valuable and we're not going to waste it.

I can't think if one kid between the ages of 6 and 19 who gets worn out sprinting from the 3rd base dugout to right field.
give me break,most coaches do this for the power trip,jogging is fine,sprinting is just foolish,the ump could careless for the most part,he gets paid the same,if the game comes up to the time limit,or if you play seven innings.

Feb 3, 2011
give me break,most coaches do this for the power trip,jogging is fine,sprinting is just foolish,the ump could careless for the most part,he gets paid the same,if the game comes up to the time limit,or if you play seven innings.

For the power trip? I find it odd that you feel that way, but I cannot worry about it. You feel the way you feel. I expect my players to hustle, because that's the environment we coaches have chosen to create with our rec team. We hustle in everything we do, because it demonstrates a commitment to our team, which has more ramifications beyond softball than you might believe. Plus, some of these players may eventually want to play for me in All-Stars.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
i like the idea oif helmet stickers. They should be earned not given. Special players need to be recognized, most of them are special because of the extra work they put in.
Hustle is expected, but some players just have that extra little bit and should be rewarded.
I also think there is a spot for team captains. Some girls are leaders and need to have that fostered.
All players should be given equal opportunity, but some will rise above the others and should be rewarded for their extra effort. Some will just be average. Every team needs both types of players.

Jan 25, 2011
For the power trip? I find it odd that you feel that way, but I cannot worry about it. You feel the way you feel. I expect my players to hustle, because that's the environment we coaches have chosen to create with our rec team. We hustle in everything we do, because it demonstrates a commitment to our team, which has more ramifications beyond softball than you might believe. Plus, some of these players may eventually want to play for me in All-Stars.
There is a time to HUSTLE and a time,too not.Sprinting on and off the field is wasted energy,hustling for that flyball to center is,or going to first on a bunt,ect.Jogging off the feild I expect that,but on a dead sprint,no sense!It has nothing to do with commitment to the team,more to the coaches ego,and I believe we all know that there is more beyond softball.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
well,I quess! Back to the orginal post,in rec-ball with the younger girls,I quess a post game awards is fine,but in TB ,being on the team is award enough,point out the good and what we as a team will be working on in next practice after the games.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
While I've had a lot of success with the stickers for the 10U team, I do have to admit that I don't use them for my 7 yo DD's team. I'm not sure in rec ball that they can all understand well enough why some are being rewarded and some are not at that age.

Jan 24, 2011
well,I quess! Back to the orginal post,in rec-ball with the younger girls,I quess a post game awards is fine,but in TB ,being on the team is award enough,point out the good and what we as a team will be working on in next practice after the games.

The girls on my 14u TB team still enjoy getting them , so I will continue to use them. Plenty of college football teams give out these types of awards. Recognition is good at any age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild