Post Game Awards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
I did the same for 10U Rec last year, had 3 kinds of stickers for offense, defense, game changer (kind of like MVP). Worked great, no complaints. We tried to spread it out but I think 4th and 5th graders are also old enough to understand the not every kid is the star and not everyone contributes the same amount every game. Probably didn't hurt that we only lost one game all year, people don't gripe about much when you win.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When I began coaching, I learned that players want to be recognized for what they did in a game. The trick then is how to do it in a team setting and turn it in to an individual award. So, we started issuing "Burst." So we have "a burst," "a double burst," and "a triple burst." A "burst" is the team giving a team clap. So, "one burst" is the team all holding their hands up and the coach counts 1,2, 3 and the team claps once. Therefore, after a game, I recognize players for what they did and give out the burst. Then, the team gives a couple out. You will find out that this can really build team bonding. I use it in the classes I teach as well. You might want to consider something like this instead so that one player isn't running around with 16 stickers on their helmet while another has none or one. JMHO!

Jan 24, 2011
When I began coaching, I learned that players want to be recognized for what they did in a game. The trick then is how to do it in a team setting and turn it in to an individual award. So, we started issuing "Burst." So we have "a burst," "a double burst," and "a triple burst." A "burst" is the team giving a team clap. So, "one burst" is the team all holding their hands up and the coach counts 1,2, 3 and the team claps once. Therefore, after a game, I recognize players for what they did and give out the burst. Then, the team gives a couple out. You will find out that this can really build team bonding. I use it in the classes I teach as well. You might want to consider something like this instead so that one player isn't running around with 16 stickers on their helmet while another has none or one. JMHO!

This doesnt really bother me at all. They get what they earn (at least in the way we give them out). I didnt have one single player this year that had only one or none on their helmet.

Jan 25, 2011
Can't stand it anymore,why do we have to give them anything at all?This world has become a joke,everyone is a winner.I watched my nephews high school baseball team all season and listen to these teenage boys whine and cry."the coach,yells at me",my dd is 12yro and says,"to me these boys are crybabies".They have been brought up thinking they are superstars,by coaches and mommies and daddies,tell them how great they are and saying things like thats allright,Jonny that was a tough grounder,as it rolles through his legs.If they earned a award then thats one thing,but giving them something everytime,give me a break.Best thing I ever saw,was at tournament,where each team got 3 medals,to give to the other team for what they felt was the best player on each team,only one given a game.They did this in pool play,it means more from your peers,that you don't know, then from the coach and players on your own team.This is way daddyball happens.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
I have no problem giving out a lot of stickers to the better players. Everyone will get something but the kids aren't stupid (the parents might be), they know who the bell cows are for their team and they don't mind seeing those leaders get recognized.

Jan 24, 2011
Nothing wrong with rewarding your players. All players like to be recognized (no matter what the level) .The stickers that we give out to our team have nothing to do with daddyball at all. The stickers they EARN are tied directly to things that they do on the field. If you dont earn them , you dont get them. Pretty simple. Some girls have more than others. Just the way it is.

Jan 25, 2011
So,I keep seeing these HUSTLE awards being talked about,lets say you have a player that doesn't run fast,do they never deserve to have a HUSTLE award?By the way there is a time too hustle and a time not to,sprinting on and off the field,because some coaches is yelling hustle,that coach is a moron!Its 90 degrees out and your having your players waste energy!I'am not saying the player stroll out like on a Suday walk picking flowers.But get real

Jan 24, 2011
Hustle has nothing to do with speed. It involves effort. Even though I called it HUSTLE award , it was really more for plays that required more than usual effort.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
So,I keep seeing these HUSTLE awards being talked about,lets say you have a player that doesn't run fast,do they never deserve to have a HUSTLE award?By the way there is a time too hustle and a time not to,sprinting on and off the field,because some coaches is yelling hustle,that coach is a moron!Its 90 degrees out and your having your players waste energy!I'am not saying the player stroll out like on a Suday walk picking flowers.But get real

There is a difference between HUSTLE and RUNNING FAST.

The team needs to sprint onto the field every time, hot or not. If for no other reason than to demonstrate to Blue that HIS TIME is valuable and we're not going to waste it.

I can't think if one kid between the ages of 6 and 19 who gets worn out sprinting from the 3rd base dugout to right field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole