Please contribute to coaching details

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2010
Hello all,

My idea for this thread is for everyone to contribute small details that we need to teach our teams. The kinds of things that most everyone knows but have not really been compiled in one place. Some simple examples:

• 2B or SS should back up throw to pitcher with runners on base, especially on 3B
  • runners on base with 2 outs, if bases are full behind you should run on any dropped 3rd strike
  • runner on 2nd, batter fake bunts, 3B charges, watch SS and take 3rd if no cover
  • runner on 3B should always lead off in foul ground
I just thought it would be nice to be able to put together a great number of these kinds of things in one place. Thanks.

Jan 15, 2009
Based on what I saw this weekend two of the items on most coaches list must be

"Outfielders should never catch a ball that will land in front of them, always let it bounce first."
"With runners on 1st and 2nd base, if the runner from 2nd steals, the runner from 1st should watch and see how it goes then discuss with 1B coach at length until the ball is returned to the pitcher in the circle."

Apr 13, 2010
Staying with the same theme as Snocatz:

Outfielders should always move forward first when a ball is hit to them to insure that the ball flies overhead.
Baserunners should always try to leave early. Especially in a close extra innings game with two umpires.
Baserunners should spend their time watching the play instead of running the bases and getting cues from their coaches.
Baserunners should always slow down before reaching first when trying to beat out a grounder.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
in a pickle situation, the baserunner should run directly at the glove - the defender/receiver of the throw should step out as necessary to provide clear line of vision between thrower and receiver.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Third should always double check/reconsider whether the batter "really" showed bunt vs. just thought about it. Especially with a runner on and first playing behind the bag. And if 3rd does move up, then she should take at least 3 steps back before the pitcher goes into her motion.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Make an effort to get on the wrong side of the umpire before the game starts, no need to wait until later in the game.

Jan 25, 2011
Here's one be like me,as one of the asst. coaches tell the HC that he sucks as a coach and couldn't beat a tee-ball team.Thats always a good way to start,but the thing is he couldn't beat a tee-ball team,it is daddy ball central.

Jul 26, 2010
Always remain open to the possibility that others, especially your own players, may know better then you do.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi