Player Profiles - Showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2012
Is the SAT a Cali thing? I noticed only two have taken the ACT. Its just the opposite here. I do understand the difference in the two tests, it just caught my eye.

Most of the kids in our area take the SAT unless their scores aren't what they want and then they take the ACT.

Nov 29, 2009
Is the SAT a Cali thing? I noticed only two have taken the ACT. Its just the opposite here. I do understand the difference in the two tests, it just caught my eye.

Illinois uses the ACT. It is taken during the spring of a player's year the first time.

Stats don't need to be on the player profile.

Take a look at the player profiles for my DD's team

California Comets 18 Gold Roster

I did a little reseach and this seems to be the format most teams I saw use. Her coach sent out a form to gather info and I told him to use what we had an leave stats off. Her batting coach has 5 girls that have been offered for his TB team and they don't list stats either. I'm feeling comfortable.

This is the whole team's first showcase and all of the girls have just started HS, so they are going to be somewhat "incomeplete" as far as test scores and what not.

Texas recommends SAT, but I think it is more along the lines of where your kid wants to go to school. My daughter more than likely going out of state (whether she plays ball or not) and most of the schools she likes are ACT schools. She plans on taking both though.

Apr 11, 2012
We don't even list stats on our one page team profile or on our player profiles online. Coaches care more about the player's grades, academics, SAT scores, etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know about that....

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I did a little reseach and this seems to be the format most teams I saw use. Her coach sent out a form to gather info and I told him to use what we had an leave stats off. Her batting coach has 5 girls that have been offered for his TB team and they don't list stats either. I'm feeling comfortable.

This is the whole team's first showcase and all of the girls have just started HS, so they are going to be somewhat "incomeplete" as far as test scores and what not.

Texas recommends SAT, but I think it is more along the lines of where your kid wants to go to school. My daughter more than likely going out of state (whether she plays ball or not) and most of the schools she likes are ACT schools. She plans on taking both though.

We hand out or have on hand player bios. Pic, travel ball experience, TB accomplishments, high school attending, brief stats, test scores, GPA.

Some showcases have "name size stickers" handed out first thing at sign in. It usually only has year graduating, throws R/L, bats R/L, GPA. I have seen some who color code positions by sticker. OF red, IF blue, catcher green, pitcher gold. ( I always thought the pitcher gold sticker was funny, I guess only to pitcher's parents though. :) )

Jul 14, 2008
Olathe KS
i recently took my daughter on two D1 visits and asked the head coach about stats and speed- the response from both was similar- we look and home runs and steals - BA, Fielding % and times are "grey" HR and Steals are black and White- take it for what its worth??

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There's so much variation in scoring that stats are near useless to compare players from different teams, conferences, states. Even with SBs and HRs there can be a significant gray area too. For example, look at MaxPreps for your state - ever notice that some SB leaders play for teams that also have 0 WP and PBs so every base advanced is a SB. HRs, no distinction between over the fence (and is the fence 170', 200', or 300'?) or inside the park, which can be 2B or 3B +1 or 2 base errors etc.

Jul 26, 2010
Every 17 year old should be able to knock a ball over a 200' fence when the ball is thrown down the middle. With composite bats and polycore balls, this is just a given. That means that HR's are not "black and white", but a stat absolutely dependent upon the pitching the kid is facing. Steals are the same, absolutely dependent upon the catcher and shortstop of the opponent. Some teams, especially in HS, are very very good, and some are very very bad. They often play each other. This is why stats mean nothing until the kid is in college, and hence why the skill videos have value.

-W

Jul 14, 2008
Olathe KS
When the coaches are recruiting - i would be willing to bet they also take into consideration what level and tourneys the young lady is playing in, along with the pitching she is facing

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish