Player Profiles - Showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Not sure if this one should go in the playing college softball category, but...

So DD's team has played two tourneys this fall. One other got rained out and they pulled out of one because several players had other commitments. Also played one friendly round robin (did not count toward stats - this will be evident why it matters shortly). Tournament #1, has a great game with the bat. Hits around .400. Tournament #2 - makes a lot of contact, but doesn't manage to get a hit. Absolutely awful tourney with the bat. Drops her BA to horrible. So tourney #3 is a showcase and they are doing their profiles for coaches that may be interested. How is a horrible BA going to impact her if a coach decides they want a profile? I mean, I would guess she would be doing good if a coach wanted to look at her profile, but once they saw her BA, would they say no way? Any suggestions for the best way to attack this issue?

She's been error free in the field, but we all know how much the bat matters. :confused:

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well if the College coach sees a low BA, but then looks at the stats and it shows 2 for 10, I don't think they would really consider that as an accurate profile for the kid. With that low (2 Tournaments) of stat numbers why even make a profile? IMO

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'd be using the end of summer stats or a continuation of the summer stats with fall. Stats for a weekend or couple of weekends really tell nothing. Coaches want to see how you perform over a "season", all athelets have good days and bad, thus the whole reason for the collection, organization, analysis, interpretation, and presentation of the data.

Aug 14, 2011
A good college coach will never consider just one game/tourney. Their best players have bad days, weeks, months. They are looking at mechanics, pitch choices, etc and over a period of time. They are professionals. They can see beyond a bad game. Don't worry about it.
And as for stats- most coaches don't really care about stats. They are only as good as the person keeping the stats, and there's a lot of incorrect stat keeping, and padding, going on. Coaches will not use stats to decide. Ever. They are looking at potential, how they think they can work with that potential to make her better and what the girl can do for the their team.
I would relax and not worry.

Jul 26, 2010
It's the middle of October. If she's only played 2 tournaments, That's a bigger issue then her stats.

No coach will care about tournament stats. Travel ball exists for two reasons: To get better at the sport, and to showcase. The showcases are more about getting the kid to warm up in front of coaches then they are getting a kid to play in front of coaches. With 4-5 inning games that may result in 2-3 at bats, going 0for in a game is no big deal.

-W

Last edited:
Well that makes me feel better.

I wasn't keen on the idea of making profiles for 2 tourneys worth of data, but her coach wants them done. Maybe we'll forgo stats and just put contact information in case a coach is interested.

Don't even get me started about only playing 2 tourneys at this point. It is a sore spot with me right now, but it is what it is.

Sep 18, 2011
Well that makes me feel better.

I wasn't keen on the idea of making profiles for 2 tourneys worth of data, but her coach wants them done. Maybe we'll forgo stats and just put contact information in case a coach is interested.

Don't even get me started about only playing 2 tourneys at this point. It is a sore spot with me right now, but it is what it is.

We had nice profiles for the showcase in Des Moines and we'll have the same for next week's showcase in Kansas City, but ours didn't include batting averages or really any stats. Chances are if a coach is there watching your game, she's there because a player sent her an email which probably DID include stats. The only stat I WISH was on our profile is the ACT score. My 13 year old (ok, she's 14now but was 13 when she took the test) scored a 27 and that would be nice to advertise... :)

Apr 6, 2012
We don't even list stats on our one page team profile or on our player profiles online. Coaches care more about the player's grades, academics, SAT scores, etc. I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA