Player Profiles - Showcase

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
There's so much variation in scoring that stats are near useless to compare players from different teams, conferences, states. Even with SBs and HRs there can be a significant gray area too. For example, look at MaxPreps for your state - ever notice that some SB leaders play for teams that also have 0 WP and PBs so every base advanced is a SB. HRs, no distinction between over the fence (and is the fence 170', 200', or 300'?) or inside the park, which can be 2B or 3B +1 or 2 base errors etc.

Every 17 year old should be able to knock a ball over a 200' fence when the ball is thrown down the middle. With composite bats and polycore balls, this is just a given. That means that HR's are not "black and white", but a stat absolutely dependent upon the pitching the kid is facing. Steals are the same, absolutely dependent upon the catcher and shortstop of the opponent. Some teams, especially in HS, are very very good, and some are very very bad. They often play each other. This is why stats mean nothing until the kid is in college, and hence why the skill videos have value.

-W

When the coaches are recruiting - i would be willing to bet they also take into consideration what level and tourneys the young lady is playing in, along with the pitching she is facing

All are correct. Here is another factor for HS stats. We play 25 season games, 20 HS tournament games ( multi state ), 5+ playoff games. So the 25 tourney and playoff games ( much better competition ) give a much better statistical average than the normal 25 seasonal games. Those 25 season games.......we might face 10 good teams........the tourney games 80% are some of the best school programs around ( teams come as far as 9 hours away ). I know for a fact some of the girls from our HS and county got the college ball rolling before the tourneys ( sending stats / invite and schedule of the tourney ) or during the tourney ( a few colleges were there ) or after the tourney ( re-sending stats / and placement/awards after the tourney ). Colleges follow up.

I have found out these larger HS tourneys really help the girls get some expo. And it seems the colleges respect that schedule more and stats that accompany said schedule. Let's be honest, you want to go to UCLA you're not going to get there in HS tourneys only. I'm sure every region in the country has these type HS tourneys if you look for them, for us in the south they are a good tool.

Guess the furthest college signing this year was full NAIA from 7 hours away. My CF for TB, but CF for our rival HS. They asked a sister college to watch her at the 50 HS tourney. She did good so they came to watch her this summer at a state expo. Signed about a month ago.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Every 17 year old should be able to knock a ball over a 200' fence when the ball is thrown down the middle. With composite bats and polycore balls, this is just a given. That means that HR's are not "black and white", but a stat absolutely dependent upon the pitching the kid is facing. Steals are the same, absolutely dependent upon the catcher and shortstop of the opponent. Some teams, especially in HS, are very very good, and some are very very bad. They often play each other. This is why stats mean nothing until the kid is in college, and hence why the skill videos have value.

-W

It also depends on where the kid bats in the order and how often the players ahead of her are on base. When my DD is lead off or 2nd, she has many more stolen bases than when she bats 3rd or 4th. It's harder to steal if there's someone on the base in front of her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy