Pitching Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Don't underestimate the value of speed and no one is suggesting to throw a fastball down the middle of the plate. The 70 mph fastball can be thrown to the black and used to set-up the other pitches, which is an important consideration.

When the "fastball" is +/- 2mph faster or slower then a rise or a drop, it isn't really a fastball. I honestly believe there is no such thing as a fastball in fastpitch. A fastball is a pitch that is signifigantly "faster" then any other pitch in the arsenal, not simply a pitch that is the same speed as the pitcher's breaking stuff only she hasn't really learned to hit her spots with the breaking stuff so she throws a "fastball" that she can actually hit her spots with. . . but I digress!

I like the bruise size method!

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
And the Rev Fire is a mere $400.00. I bet I can come within 3 mph, just watching her pitch.

If I am catching her, it goes like this - up to 42 MPH, I am able to catch and chat. 45ish - to 50ish, I have to shut up and catch. 55ish, I am in full gear and yelling. Approaching 60mph, bring a catcher with ya.
I have no idea how fast my girl pitches, but I am somewhere between shut up and catch and in full gear and yelling.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Forgive me if I've told this story before. A few years ago someone I knew was telling me about a pitcher on another travel team. He was saying he'd heard from some of the parents of girls on her team that she was throwing 60+ mph.

That's interesting, I said. I'm her pitching coach, and I have her around 55 mph on my Jugs gun. Amazing how the legends grow.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Forgive me if I've told this story before. A few years ago someone I knew was telling me about a pitcher on another travel team. He was saying he'd heard from some of the parents of girls on her team that she was throwing 60+ mph.

That's interesting, I said. I'm her pitching coach, and I have her around 55 mph on my Jugs gun. Amazing how the legends grow.

should have just said. I'm her pitching coach. Then hand out your business card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA