PC Police strike again!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
I encourage my DD's not to be embarrassed or ashamed of their gender.

The shame in all of this is that while females, women, "ladies" have come so far, some faction wants ladies to believe that being a lady is a slight.

If a college referred to their female teams as 'hos' or something derogatory, then it is good to move away from that. This is different. It strikes out at females by telling them that their identity is second rate--so much so that being referred to as a lady is offensive.

Women, be proud of who you are and what you are. Don't let the PC 'tards tell you to grow a pair!!

Jun 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
Opinions

I'm not a fan of the ''Lady'' tag on women's teams. I doesn't offend me, and I don't care what the University of Tennessee decides to do, but I don't get it. There's a local fastpitch organization called the Lady Tigers. What does Lady add? How is a Lady Tiger different than any other Tiger? I asked my daughter just now about it. Tried to be neutral. She's a high school freshman. Asked her if she'd want to be the Cougars or the Lady Cougars. She said, ''Cougars. We don't need to verify that we're girls. We're all Cougars.'' That's kinda the way I see it. But I guess there are bigger issues in the world of sports.

Oddly, my DD was a "Cougar" too............but all sports have the females as "Lady Cougars".

Let's say I ask you to meet me at the Cougars basketball game tonight, you accept. I go to the girls game at Halls high, you go to the boys game at Central high.

Which one sounds more honorable? Meet me at the girls basketball game or meet me at the Lady Cougars game?

To me, our basketball team, and most people I know, using Lady in front of the name is the same, even better even, as saying girls team. It sounds better to our girls because it makes them feel even with the boys. They think when people say girls team they are implying the product is not as good, but when they hear Lady Trojans it sounds like a more even product.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
To me, our basketball team, and most people I know, using Lady in front of the name is the same, even better even, as saying girls team. It sounds better to our girls because it makes them feel even with the boys. They think when people say girls team they are implying the product is not as good, but when they hear Lady Trojans it sounds like a more even product.

So you are saying that many female athletes feel there is a negative connotation, one of inferiority, associated with being on a ''girls team"? And the 'Lady' label is a way to help them feel more equal to the boys? That is, better about themselves?

Can you see where some girls might consider that patronizing? The idea that they have to be treated differently so they feel better about what it means to be on a ''girls team"?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Do the Lady Vols (they are the Lady Vols correct? Not the lady Volunteers. The men are the Volunteers correct? Not the Vols?), get a share if the revenue from the sale of Volunteer merchandise? Or just Lady Vol merchandise?

Guess what I am saying is, as a few others have said, millions of dollar support exects probably said they can make more profit if it is all one nickname. Seems more likely then some saying it is "politically correct". Probably a few that said it sounds dumb too :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So you are saying that many female athletes feel there is a negative connotation, one of inferiority, associated with being on a ''girls team"? And the 'Lady' label is a way to help them feel more equal to the boys? That is, better about themselves?

Can you see where some girls might consider that patronizing? The idea that they have to be treated differently so they feel better about what it means to be on a ''girls team"?

My friend, I still think you're looking at it wrong. Sometimes these "ladies" out perform the male side of the school. As an example, our ladies in soccer, basketball, volleyball, and softball all made it to state multiple times during my DD's 4 years of HS. Guess who didn't make it....not once.......... baseball, football, wrestling and soccer. ( all male sports )

Perhaps some females do want to separate from the boys. I know our newspapers had 10x's the articles about the ladies sports accomplishments compared to the boys failures.

Being a Lady Cougar, meant more to them than just a.......Cougar.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Do the Lady Vols (they are the Lady Vols correct? Not the lady Volunteers. The men are the Volunteers correct? Not the Vols?), get a share if the revenue from the sale of Volunteer merchandise? Or just Lady Vol merchandise?

Guess what I am saying is, as a few others have said, millions of dollar support exects probably said they can make more profit if it is all one nickname. Seems more likely then some saying it is "politically correct". Probably a few that said it sounds dumb too :)

And the majority vote was: (X) C. It is Tennessee, who cares.
;)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

I think you're right brother. The school switching to Nike, and this decision all at once? Oddly the basketball team will still be Lady Vols, probably because someone ( high up ) at UT wouldn't agree to the terms of Nike without the "clause". Which again is odd, not changing the whole athletic name. Good ole politics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd