Outfield Throws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
This is posted for an specific inquiring individual, but some others such as dads or moms of younger players may find it useful.

For throws from the outfield, when possible, such as when it is possible to face the target you are throwing too, or moving toward the target you are throwing to, a crow-hop and reverse windmill motion of the throwing arm should be used.

1) The crow-hop allows for a powerful initiation and transfer of force into the throw.
2) The crow-hop creates a fluid timing mechanism between the feet and the throwing arm

3) The reverse windmill throw allows for the strongest possible throw for the greatest distance, and imparts backspin on the ball, creating increased "travel".
4) The reverse windmill motion creates an over-hand throw for the greatest accuracy.
5) The reverse windmill throwing motion allows the legs to dictate the timing of release, because the arm can always catch up to the legs in the crow-hop, but you don't want the legs shuffling and forcing the throw.

This is Amanda one of my freshman HS players. The first move is a two handed catch. The left leg is positioned forward at the catch. The crow-hop is initiated immediately, by a high step forward with the right foot with the instep turned toward the target, followed by the step onto the left foot, and throw. It is very important to bring the thumb of the throwing hand to the thigh as shown here. This forces the windmill motion and an over-hand throw.

Outfield Throw.jpg

DRILLS

1) (Tell the kids to "peddle the bicycle")
a. You can use the outfield foul line or a swimming pool noodle as a barrier. The players are lined up behind the barrier left foot forward, and leap over the barrier with the right foot first, then step with the left foot.
b. After efficiency, add the throwing motion
c. Give the players a ball to throw to the coach or partner when they complete the steps.

2) (Accuracy in tosses is important here)
a. Have the players line up behind the foul-line or noodle, left foot forward.
b. Toss a ball up about 4-5 feet and have them catch the ball, then step into the crow-hop across the foul-line or noodle
c. Have them stand behind the line and step up to the line, catching the ball on their left foot, then crow-hop across the foul-line or noodle.

3) Increase the high and distance of the tosses. Until they can time their feet.

4) Hit fly balls and ground balls to them and initiate the throws, fielding the ball on the appropriate foot, which is the left foot for right-handed players.

Credit here to SBfamily for reminding me of this advanced drill:
5) Use a 55 gallon drum on its side and throw balls from the outfield into the barrel. The ideal throw is a one hop throw to allow a knee high catch and tag. I gave them 1 point for going in on the fly, 2 points on one hop, 1 point on two hops, and 0 on everything else. They love competitions. I usually did this drill indoors before the season because of weather in the Rockies, but it works anywhere.

Another level is to add a relay. Pair the girls up, and hit deeper fly balls to the outfield. The OF then throws the ball to the infielder on the relay who completes the play. You can configure points for the perfect OF throw also: If the (R)relay catches the ball on the fly is 1 point, a R catch on the throwing side is 1 point, R catching the ball on the left foot to make the relay is 1 point. The girls get into it.

I think 14U is probably a better age for this drill, and 12U for the previous, but other coaches would know better.

A little disclaimer here:
Amanda was receiving a short throw to make these photos. This sequence should and does to some degree demonstrate setting up behind the ball. Unfortunately the reaction to the toss was to duck under the ball instead of shuffling her feet and getting the left foot forward, while catching the ball standing up and in an aggressive forward motion into the throw as it should be!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Plus what Steve posted make a game of it. We put a barrel turned on it side at home plate to see how many can bounce the ball into the barrel or bucket.

Very good! And I did the same with the 55 gal plastic drum. Although a metal one would make a bigger announcement! I gave them 1 point for going in on the fly, 2 points on one hop, 1 point on two hops, and 0 on everything else. They love competitions. Hopefully Julie will see this!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Unfortunately we are still indoors in a regular gym, so we have to make use of whatever we can. We use the square with the basketball backboard at the opposite end of the court as the target, and from about 3/4 length of the court, toss a ball up and see who can catch and hit the square the most times. We use that target to try and encourage low "cut-able" throws on a line, rather than the big rainbows you sometimes see from the outfield.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Unfortunately we are still indoors in a regular gym, so we have to make use of whatever we can. We use the square with the basketball backboard at the opposite end of the court as the target, and from about 3/4 length of the court, toss a ball up and see who can catch and hit the square the most times. We use that target to try and encourage low "cut-able" throws on a line, rather than the big rainbows you sometimes see from the outfield.

It works! I just did this for training in HS since I had new players every year. I always devoted the first 3 days of tryouts to the new kids to give them a good look. I mentioned to someone before that one year I 16 new girls who brought a total of 3 gloves. I had 2, my assistant 1, and I got 2 from lost and found. So we did throwing in sets of 8 girls, and sent the other 8 to the batting cage. It was a little different in Logan, Utah than in California or even the other side of the mountains. They said their dads would buy them a glove if they made the team! No joke! How many of these girls do you think have ever been taught to crow-hop or bounce a one-hop throw?

So we did these training issues in February hard core focusing on individual skills like cross-over steps, bunting mechanics, throwing, crow-hopping, proper bunt fielding "inside and next to the right-foot", infield rotations and variations on the bunt, fielding ground ball technique etc. Indoors may not be ideal, but it can be used especially for individual skills sets, and in my case, an introduction to softball :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I still remember the practice in a gym. You all use what we have. Our alumni built us a fieldhouse. Indoor field for softball-baseball and rest of the outdoor sports, weight room, coaches offices. We are now spoiled. All of us sharing it, is the only issue now.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I still remember the practice in a gym. You all use what we have. Our alumni built us a fieldhouse. Indoor field for softball-baseball and rest of the outdoor sports, weight room, coaches offices. We are now spoiled. All of us sharing it, is the only issue now.

Yeah, and when push comes to shove, who does the AD decide gets it?

Jan 4, 2012
Oregon
Thanks, Steve. I'm trying to build a better understanding of throwing to help gain alignment between my co-coaches and, of course, to help the girls improve their skills.

This is the throwing sequence that I have so far. I'd love additions and corrections from the collective knowledge of the group.

1. Catch the ball - ideally stepping forward with the throwing hand.
2. Step so that feet are aligned with the target.
- Rear foot instep and front toe both pointing to target
- Shoulders lined up to target
3. Glove hand elbow pointing to target
4. throwing hand pointing backwards, wrist folded back, elbow at should height
5. Weight loaded - similar to batting load
6. Stride forward and begin upper body rotation
7. Arm in L position
- shoulders square with target
- hand directly above elbow (not tilted in toward the head)
8. Snap
- wrist snaps
- elbow snaps
- rotation continues
9. Follow thru
- 'shake hands' with target
- thumb or forefingers to the thigh

I have several girls that are still doing dart throws (aka dino throws). They are in perfect position for steps 1-7, but they don't snap soon enough. In addition to creating a weak throw, it typically causes their follow thru to go to far to the glove side. These throws look exactly like an elbow-forward wrist flip.

In addition, I'm having a hard time getting the girls to use their legs in their throws. I'm guessing that because they are doing the push throw, the leg has little impact and they aren't getting the normal feedback.

I've been lurking here for a long time reading about throwing form. It seems that there are unbelievably detailed scripts for coaches associated with batting. i'm hoping to create something similar for throwing form. So please - all of you experts out there, help me revise the traits of a good throw, the telltale signs of common mistakes, and the drills that will help fix some of the common issues.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Here is a throwing drill that is more important for infielders, since you don't want them to put spin and curve the ball. PS: Steve the AD puts out a schedule that is posted.

• Once you have the release point down lay on your back and get ready to throw by putting your hand and arm outstretched with the elbow even or slightly above the height of the shoulder.

• Leave the back of your hand on the ground with the ball in it and raise only the elbow off the ground about 10 times. This simulates leading with the elbow to throw the ball just like we do to hit the ball.

• Now the challenge! Can you throw the ball straight up and catch the ball without having to move off your back? If the ball is thrown forward you are probably holding the ball to far back in the palm of your hand.

• The ball landing behind you may indicate you are not using your wrist or letting it roll off your fingers. Think elbow first and hand last and throw the ball in the air until you can catch it every time. Now stand up and try throwing again and remember when taking the ball out of your glove the hand goes down and the elbow is pointing up and then bring the hand up and over leading with the elbow to throw.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well Julie, the first 1. “Catch the ball – ideally stepping forward with the throwing hand,” is a problem for me. You want to catch the ball with the glove-hand side foot, forward! That way you can go into the crow hop as shown in my photos at the beginning of the thread. Younger girls especially need to learn how to crow-hop to get enough oomph on their throws.

2 is good. This is true when just playing catch or after doing the crow-hop.
3. Can be just the glove or elbow.
a. When playing catch, it is usually and extended arm.
b. Usually for a catcher or a quick throw it is the elbow. When fielding a ground ball it will be just the elbow as the ball is taken out of the glove.
4. Usually you can get more power in the throw when the hand is pointed away from the target as described, elbow at shoulder height as said.
5. yep! And for max power the knee should be bent to enhance the push into the throw.
6. Upper body rotation starts as the stride foot sets down pointed at target. This is very similar to hitting.
7. yes!
8. Actually the elbow extends before the wrist snap. The arm will be nearly straight before the wrist snap and straight after wrist snap.
9. The follow through is across the body to the opposite thigh.
10. The shoulders follow the arm and throw bending into the throw with the throwing shoulder forward the most. So the thrower is bent a little at the waist.

I am going to post other drills here. You have a few in my post, #1 for learning the crow-hop.

Look at SBFAMILY's drill below your post, #9. That is a good one especially for younger kids. In truth, I had heard of something like that many years ago, but I never really understood it until he posted here. So thank him!

I will add one more here if I can find the photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck