New U10 pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
A brand new pitcher at 10U rec, IMO, should be concerned with getting a straight fastball with a lot of consistency. A change-up and spots after that. Baby steps though. I'm also not a fan of experimenting during a game. Throw what you know. A pitcher at that level owes it to their defense to get the ball in play. A walk-fest is no good for anyone. Not the pitcher, not the defense, and not the other team who is trying to learn to hit.

Jan 22, 2011
Agree with concentrating on proper mechanics. In 8u my DD pulled the ball around the circle most of the time and was getting some brush resistance, but didn't have good posture, she was leaking forward. In 10u she developed glove swim, which had her falling to throwing hand side just before she released the ball, which gave her somewhat of a screwball.

Definitely study good pitching mechanics, keep it fun, and take lots of video for the memories. Wish I had found Javasource and Rick Pauly's material one to two years earlier. Me watching Bill Hillhouse's DVD's and half understanding them made her pretty successful in rec/B ball.

My experience has been if pitchers concentrate on where the catcher has the glove, the ball will wind up close to the glove. Proper posture and paying attention to what the glove arm is doing is important. Definitely concentrate on a fastball, which with the way most teach IR is a drop ball, with good mechanics. Then work on locating it in practice and games. Once she can consistently place it in a game, then start on a changeup in practice.

Enjoy the journey! It goes by fast.

Oct 4, 2018
A brand new pitcher at 10U rec, IMO, should be concerned with getting a straight fastball with a lot of consistency. A change-up and spots after that. Baby steps though. I'm also not a fan of experimenting during a game. Throw what you know. A pitcher at that level owes it to their defense to get the ball in play. A walk-fest is no good for anyone. Not the pitcher, not the defense, and not the other team who is trying to learn to hit.

... and not the most important of all, the parents. Walk-fests are horrendous. 10U rec is probably the most painful softball to watch. I watched my fair share with my girls. Walk, passed ball, advance to second, passed ball, advance to third, passed ball, score run. Ball 4.

Rinse. Repeat. Ad Nasuem.

Aug 3, 2022
At 10u, she should work on mechanics. If you have a good pitching coach, they will build her skill set slowly as she shows improvement in mastering pitches. This is the time where she should learn to throw a good fastball and a nice offspeed pitch. Most importantly, make it fun. She will get burned out at the age of w4 or w5 if you put too much pressure on her right now to perform. Remember, this is her game.

Jan 25, 2022
... and not the most important of all, the parents. Walk-fests are horrendous. 10U rec is probably the most painful softball to watch. I watched my fair share with my girls. Walk, passed ball, advance to second, passed ball, advance to third, passed ball, score run. Ball 4.

Rinse. Repeat. Ad Nasuem.
Lol. Yeah the parents do have to suffer.

Our LL used a pitching machine, but the jugs balls were suoer unpredictable and outright dangerous. Then in fall ball went to coach-assisted pitching, and the games were a million times better that way.

Aug 20, 2022
Natrona Heights PA
I was having a discussion regarding my 9 year old that is learning to pitch. It dealt with the mental challenges of pitching as well as the goals of being a new pitcher. Basically the conversation about the mental aspect, and dealing with those challenges, came down to framing the goal. The question was essentially, should a new U10 pitcher be most concerned with throwing balls over the plate, not being so concerned that batters are getting hits but being good with not getting walks or should she be more concerned with getting strikeouts? Is it a combination? Case by case? I'd love hear what people have experienced.

I’d have her learn to hit the corners, controlling where she wants the ball to go and mechanics. If players hit off her so be it. That’s why she has 9 other girls behind her.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad