New one

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
👍 Good one @Rolling Hard !

I'm going to chat mechanics,
And leave this as a clue...
😁 good maneuver getting behind the ball.
But then let the ball roll out of his glove.
... with the ball on the ground he should have just picked it up with his hand.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Any stationary ball on the ground, anywhere on the field should be pitched up with throwing hand.
But I never knew that a catcher using their mask to assist in fielding a ball was a balk. Another reason for catchers to never take off their mask.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Any stationary ball on the ground, anywhere on the field should be pitched up with throwing hand.
But I never knew that a catcher using their mask to assist in fielding a ball was a balk. Another reason for catchers to never take off their mask.

It's not a balk. It's just the detached equipment rule. It just so happens that the penalty is a one base award, the same as a balk.

May 29, 2015
The video is not coming up for me, but I'll add that a catcher picking up a ball with her/his mask can be even more complex than what @CoachJD said . . .

From NFHS Softball 8-4-3(d):

1703721928742.png

1703721817539.png

NFHS Baseball is even harsher . . . they award three bases on a hit and two bases on a throw or pitch, PLUS they award from the time of the infraction, not the time of the pitch.

MLB (OBR) provides the 3,2,1 like NFHS softball, but uses the time of infraction, like NFHS baseball.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA