Monday Brag 9-19

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD had a great showing at her first college "tryout" and official visit. She hit 12 over the fence during batting practice and earned a high-five from the coach. :cool:

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD pitched 4 out of 6 innings in her game on Sat and only allowed 2 hits. I've always been amazed at her ability to throw strikes. Her pitch count is always pretty low and more strikes than balls generally. In the 4 innings, she pitched a total of 38 (29 were strikes). She's still trying to get used to 12U also (bigger ball/further distance) so I'm always surprised she does so well. Her biggest issue is that her speed isn't quite there - but she's always been pretty consistent :)

Also put down 2 really awesome bunts - one where she was called out at first - but got an RBI - but when I look back at the video she looks safe and one where she was safe which ended up loading the bases.

Mar 8, 2016
DD had her best weekend ever. She had a triple, 3 doubles, and 2 bunts for hits to go along with several singles. She only got out twice in six games all weekend. In the championship game with the scored tied 2-2 she came up in bottom of the fifth and 2 outs. She hit a double and then after the next batter got 2 strikes on her she stole third and then scored when the ball got away from the 3rd baseman. At the end of the tournament the umpires picked an MVP form each team that made it to the championship game and she was their pick. Instead of just telling who was getting the award the umpire talked about how he was giving the award to a girl who obviously loved the gamed and played 100% all the time. I was proud of her for everything but most of all the fact that at 9pm on Saturday night she was still charging bunts at full speed in spite of the fact that it was 16 hours since we had left for the field. As well as she played the effort she gave was what made me proudest.
I just started being an assistant coach on her team this fall. On the drive home I got an evaluation of my coaching from my DD. First time she has ever done that. I have participated as a head or assistant coach for several years at different levels. We always have an evaluation of the tournament on the ride home and talk about what went well and what needed work. It was very interesting being on the other side of the fence. The best part is she was correct in most of her criticisms and did it in a very respectful manner. The bad part is she seemed to enjoy it a little bit too much. Anyone have any advice for when the padawan starts passing the master?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I took 2 players to a camp this weekend. DD and the other player were on fire behind the plate. Coach passed on a little info about DD stating fundamentally she has all the tools to catch at the school. The coach stated she needs to see her in game action and at the plate this fall. Coach went on to state that the other catcher has a ton of energy and will no doubt play in college at any level. DD got the better feedback but she is a year older than her teammate.

BRAG: It's a damn good feeling when you say thank you to a coach at the end of a camp and the coach says I will send the manager a full report but DD has all the fundamental tools to play for my school. There were several catchers there with talent and DD out worked them all. DD isn't much of an athlete (that's my opinion) but she's a grinder. She can't wait for the next lifting session or to go hit and while most conditioning sessions she struggles due to breathing not fitness, she continues to push and finally it's paying off.

Nov 3, 2015
Vienna, VA
Played 4 games this weekend and DD did not get out, not once. Not bad for first 14U tournament. Hit 3 triples, 1 double, walked 5 times and unfortunately was hit a bunch too. Stole 4 bases. Best comment I got was from a parent whose daughter had a bad weekend and got hurt at the end of the last game. Said the whole ride home all his DD could talk about was how my DD was there for her all weekend, supporting her through the slump and then comforting her after the injury. Said his DD can't wait to get back to show my DD all she gave her was worth it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32