Mastering 3rd Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I currently am the starting 3rd baseman for my tournament team. My next (and last) two tournaments this season are states and nationals, so I really want to make sure I'm extra sharp when we play good teams. I'm also looking at moving up to an 18U showcase team next year, and tryouts are coming up.

Basically, I've been playing 3rd for a while and I know most of the things about it. BUT I want to know specific drills that I can do to really bring my playing to the next level. Maybe a lot of the reaction ball stuff? Lots of bunt practice?

I just need something to take my game up a level so that while I'm at these tryouts the coaches think, "WOW she really knows how to play third."

Thanks!

Nov 29, 2009
Footwork and glove work.

Work your crossover step footwork so you're starting low and staying low on the ball. Work going in both directions. Tape yourself and then look to see where you can eliminate wasted motion. Too many time I see an athlete take too long to field and throw a ball even though it looks like they are going very fast. Most times they are moving very fast, but have added an extra step or two to the fielding motion.

Work run thru's for fielding bunts and throwing on the move without stopping. I often see 3rd basemen charge, field, stop, stand, assume the throwing position and then throw. They always juuust miss the speedy runner at 1st by a whisker.

Work on drop step right to nab that little pop foul to the right and back of you. The one the SS can't get to.

Make sure whoever is hitting the ball is challenging you. Make sure they hit the ball hard to the sides at your ankles and short hops.

Again, tape yourself and critique your motion to try and find something you can eliminate from it. You never know. You can be taking that one little extra step that makes the difference between safe and out on a play. Softball is a game of inches.

Look at the attached picture. You don't want to leave this play in the hands of an umpire. BTY the runner played in 2 DI WCWS in college. She was quite speedy.

Attachments

• Darcey Safe.jpg
    Darcey Safe.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 87
Jul 14, 2010
New England
Ok thanks everyone! And Sparky, with footwork is the most important thing just to have as few steps as possible? And for a bunt, would throwing sidearm come into play? I know sometimes shortstops have to do it to throw to first, and when I field a bunt first base is usually a full 90 degrees to my left. Would throwing sidearm be the easiest way to make a throw while running? By the way I do have a strong and accurate sidearm throw.

Nov 29, 2009
I think I should have used a different word. The word MOVES or COUNTS would be a better descriptor.

What I see a lot of times is this when a player tries to field a ground ball.

On the pitch the player sets down and ready.
Ball hit to the side them:
Count 1: Player stands up.
Count 2: Player takes the first step towards the ball.
Count 3: Player bends at the waist and catches the ball.
Count 4: Player stops her feet.
Count 5: Player stands up.
Count 6: Player moves feet into throwing position.
Count 7: Player makes exchange from glove to throwing hand in from of their stomach.
Count 8: Player moves arm to throwing position.
Count 9: Player throws the ball.

The object is to eliminate or combine several of these Counts to cut the time it takes to perform a specific task.

Count 1: While still low, cross step to the ball while moving the glove to the ball without standing up.
Count 2: Field the ball while keeping the feet moving towards your target and bring the ball all the way up to the throwing position making the exchange at the throwing shoulder all while standing up so you're now in the throwing position.
Count 3: Your momentum is headed to your target and you get off a strong accurate throw

It must look like one fluid motion from start to finish. The feet and hands never stop moving, even for a split second.

As for throwing sidearm after fielding a bunt on a run thru is something I would not recommend. Often that throw is being made with the right foot forward because you're in a hurry and can't take that extra step. Throwing sidearm opens you up to having your release point timing off. If you're late the ball ends up behind the 2B covering the bag on the bunt. The other thing is the ball in coming at the 2B who is on the move in a hurry to get to the bag along with runner coming up the line. If the ball is in the same plan as the runner the 2B may not pick up the flight of the ball quick enough.

If you come from a 3/4 type angle not the ball is up with less distractions for 2B. Also the 3/4 throw can be performed easier than the side arm due to your momentum.

Again, this is not written is stone. If you can throw sidearm with accuracy in hurry and feel it's faster then by all means do it. Just be sure your 2B knows what coming. Practice making that throw with your right foot forward.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
ok, thanks for all the advice Sparky! Hopefully the combination of your advice and using those reaction balls and playing pepper will help me be able to stop some of the lined shots that seem to just escape my reach.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Your first sideways step should be a jab step, use that for quick short movements including a dive. If you need to travel further, jab and then crossover and go. Also work fence catches using both finding the fence with your throwing hand while you focus on the catch, and a figure 4 slide catche. For bunt pickups, set your right ankle (I am assuming you are right handed) so it poits to where you will throw, with the ball just inside of your right foot. As you field the ball, you will finish your load and throw (rock and fire). Stay low and throw through. i do a drill where you drop balls in different locations. At first walk up to each, field it and throw. Then increase the speed of the drill until it feels natural at game speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32