Lower Body

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jeff Kneiert

Miltonball
May 3, 2010
@GM - yeah there is still much work to do - the lower body is not yet really adding anything accept a better shift to support the upper body. Funny - how hitting low inside is being mentioned because I told her we would be working on a low tee drill we do.

@FFS - ditto above -

@O'Leary - as tired as you are of this bickering - I am double...we don't agree - l have tried to explain why I don't see much value in deltoid drills and trying to do drills that power the swing with the core. If you to show me proof of a young player developing a really good swing - I would no doubt re think my position. I had a girl a couple of years ago that I had do deltoid drills and she hit a ton her soph year - lots of xtra base hits - couple of HR's - but struck out a ton - one zone hitter - couldn't adjust because she couldn't disconnect the hands from the rear shoulder. Probably didn't want based on some of the bombs she hit.

Here is the clip I posted last year - most said there was not much to like in this swing...

BEFORE
mhbefore.gif

AFTER
mhafter.gif

For the lower body - we throw medicine balls similar to the throwing the bucket of balls drill that Mud's kid does. Swing the ball back by getting into the rear hip and then explode out to throw as high and as far as they can. I am very interested in BM's view on the lower body.

What size medicine balls do you use and do you worry about any type of bat lag withe the extra weight? I guess I should say medicine ball lag?

R

RayR

Our place has balls starting at 2kgs - depends on what they can handle. If they use their legs correctly they can really throw them. The lag is not an issue.

What size medicine balls do you use and do you worry about any type of bat lag withe the extra weight? I guess I should say medicine ball lag?

Last edited:
R

RayR

Here is a clip of how I have the girls try and throw the ball

medball.gif

I want them to bring the ball back using their rear leg and hip. Then I tell them to try and explode out of the rear leg before throwing the ball.

I also want them to use the front leg by applying pressure through the front leg into the ground as they explode out of the back leg.

If they sway over the back leg then I know they are not applying enough pressure into the ground as they get into the rear hip.

If they sway over the front leg or I see the front knee break down - I know they are not exchanging the pressure into the front leg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321