lost confidence in fielding groundballs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
11yo DD made the move to 12u last mth. She's had 2 tournaments and looks scared at 2b when fielding groundballs. She's made a cpl errors and doesn't look like she's giving 100% effort. She's also pitcher. Pitches half the time and splits the rest of the innings between 2b and eh. She just started middle school which gets out later and she has way more homework. So we don't get to practice as much in the afternoons. Pitching takes up most practice time then hitting and fielding practice gets taken for granted. She does fine when we do drills where I roll the balls but as soon as I start hitting them she looks timid. Doesn't get in front of the ball, tries to field everything off to the side. She has been wearing a mask for a cpl seasons. Any suggestions? Help.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Does she wear the mask when she is playing 2B or just when she pitches? Make her wear the mask at 2B too, until she does not look timid at 2B. Go out to the field and work on her mechanics fielding ground balls while you roll the ball to her. Roll the balls progressively harder as her confidence builds. Then move to hitting balls lightly. Increase the speed until she gets comfortable will full speed. May take multiple sessions.

Oct 10, 2011
confidence

The mask is important! Try this. ..
Get some Diamond foam balls and get her comfortable with her footwork etc. .. while you hit them hard to her. You can also toss them at her face to practice quick hands while watching the ball in.

May 31, 2012
She wears the mask at 2b also. We do the progressive thing. I roll the balls working on the different pivots and scenarios. but as soon as i start hitting the balls everything breaks down. I'll try to foam balls

Jun 24, 2013
DD plays for 2 Teams, at different times of the year. 1st part of the year she plays for a Team that she does not pitch for very much and does a good job of charging and getting in fount of the ball.

2nd Team she pitches a lot and gets into the habit of catching balls to her sides and not charging the balls as good. Most balls hit to her pitching, bunts do not count, are coming at her pretty fast so she just sticks her glove out. I guess you might call her timid?

IDK if your DD is developing the same bad habit, just throwing it out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC