Looking for some advice on HS ball because this dad is driving the struggle bus (Sorry another HS topic)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
Poor performance on the field. I am not saying it should be at the top of list of priorities but an Athletic Director should have some interest in putting out competitive teams, no?

where we are the same teams are bad year after year. goes back to the earlier discussion about demographics of softball.

Jun 8, 2016
where we are the same teams are bad year after year. goes back to the earlier discussion about demographics of softball.
Yeah really what you want to see is improvement, which would require the AD actually knowing something about the sport, so perhaps difficult.

Whatever, I will let everybody here continue to wail and grind their teeth regarding the topic of HS coaches and back out of the conversation..

Oct 14, 2019
Yeah really what you want to see is improvement, which would require the AD actually knowing something about the sport, so perhaps difficult.

Whatever, I will let everybody here continue to wail and grind their teeth regarding the topic of HS coaches and back out of the conversation..

give it a couple of years

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Ok educate me. What SHOULD an AD do if a team doesn't show any improvement over 3 or 4 years?
I jumped the gun a bit with that post Pattar...I get a bit wound when these posts come up about terrible HS Coaches. The story behind my experience is horrific, unbelievable, expensive, sad and technically still under a gag order. Free Speech? Not so much. Planned exit/retirement strategy that anyone paying attention with half a brain should have seen coming? Yes.

Again, to be clear I was generally speaking about coaches getting away with crap repeatedly and feeling as if they have some type of tenure in their "job" as a HS coach. Performance should certainly be a factor that goes into ongoing evaluations.

Jun 8, 2016
I jumped the gun a bit with that post Pattar...I get a bit wound when these posts come up about terrible HS Coaches. The story behind my experience is horrific, unbelievable, expensive, sad and technically still under a gag order. Free Speech? Not so much. Planned exit/retirement strategy that anyone paying attention with half a brain should have seen coming? Yes.

Again, to be clear I was generally speaking about coaches getting away with crap repeatedly and feeling as if they have some type of tenure in their "job" as a HS coach. Performance should certainly be a factor that goes into ongoing evaluations.
Look I know what goes on, what I was saying is what SHOULD go on..which wasn't exactly a groundbreaking idea..lol 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
To the OP, sounds like a tough situation and I understand where your priorities lie. Our kids health and well being is first and foremost. Sometimes it can be extremely difficult to decipher the lesson we are learning...helping your DD find the gold buried under that crap is hard. Sometimes the only lesson is that in life you will meet all kinds of people so be prepared and learn how to cope. Riding the pine, being a team cheerleader, understanding other aspects of the game that would not be obvious while actually on the field...those things (and more) can all be used to improve.

Dec 11, 2010
Poor performance gets hs football coaches and boys basketball coaches fired.

The AD’s will engage in a search for replacements. Interviews will be conducted. Meetings and negotiations will be conducted.

Athletic directors want softball coach vacancies filled and off their desk. If they can wrap up their extensive search for coaching talent in a week or two, that’s preferable. They prefer a school staff member who they can keep their thumb on. They want no controversy. If the team is .500, the meat head athletic director can pat themselves on their back for executing with such a high level of success.

Don‘t @ me with the exceptions.

Oct 10, 2018
I find the approachability of HS coaches MUCH better that travel coaches. I always feel like travel coaches wish their players were orphans and that we parents would just write checks and fall off the face of the earth.

DD's HS coaches have had no objection to us setting up a booster club, do walk up music, set up a concession stand to raise money, fund raise for new dugout covers, etc. etc.

Apr 1, 2017
There are good, average, and bad travel coaches and high school coaches. The amount of complaining about high school comes from the lack of ability to change the situation.

In travel, if the team isn't working out for the player, stick out the season (or leave midseason), and then switch teams without any real cost/effort. I'm not talking about the players/families that seem to find a reason every year that they need to move teams, but legit situations come up that require change.

In high school, to get my daughters on a different team would mean selling my house and moving to a different town, or sending them to a private school. So if your kid is in a bad high school situation, and you're looking at 2 or 3 more years of it, it gets frustrating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321