Looking for some advice on HS ball because this dad is driving the struggle bus (Sorry another HS topic)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
On another note, is is ironic that the paid coaches are, in my experience so much worse than the volunteer travel coaches. What's up with that?
If you are getting this from this board (and your personal experience) then I think the perception might be skewed a bit. In general, people are not going to come on here to exclaim how great their HS coach is (somewhat similar to my end of semester teaching reviews where, in general, only the students who are unhappy make comments :ROFLMAO: )

Sep 14, 2021
If you are getting this from this board (and your personal experience) then I think the perception might be skewed a bit. In general, people are not going to come on here to exclaim how great their HS coach is (somewhat similar to my end of semester teaching reviews where, in general, only the students who are unhappy make comments :ROFLMAO: )
Point taken

Oct 14, 2019

One of the reasons parents hate HS coaches is that the coach holds most of the cards. They can do mostly whatever they want. They don’t have to placate parents like most travel coaches.

Jun 20, 2015
i've come across several HS coaches that are really good, run straight programs, coach up the girls. interactive with local rec programs, etc.

HOWEVER, the majority are suspect at best, outright idiots at worse and IMO have no business being coaches.

and it's not placating parents. how about applying all team rules to all players, not just select few. Or playing players that have no business starting cause Mom on booster committee, or the starter cause HC best friend with dad. OR pitching 1 pitcher every inning of every game in order to make her and your program look better than it actually is: Or changing stats to make HC favorite little minion look good? Long list of lunatic things I've seen done over the years.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
Maybe I’m in the minority, but to me live pitching against the starters is not the worse thing in the world. Batting practice connotes throwing meatballs down the middle, while live pitching is game speed. It should give your DD an opportunity to prove herself. That being said, more than once or twice a week would be unreasonable.

Oct 14, 2019
i've come across several HS coaches that are really good, run straight programs, coach up the girls. interactive with local rec programs, etc.

HOWEVER, the majority are suspect at best, outright idiots at worse and IMO have no business being coaches.

and it's not placating parents. how about applying all team rules to all players, not just select few. Or playing players that have no business starting cause Mom on booster committee, or the starter cause HC best friend with dad. OR pitching 1 pitcher every inning of every game in order to make her and your program look better than it actually is: Or changing stats to make HC favorite little minion look good? Long list of lunatic things I've seen done over the years.

that’s my point. they can do what they want with little to no consequence.

Jun 8, 2016
that’s my point. they can do what they want with little to no consequence.
The consequence should be losing their job if they stink (or perhaps more appropriate, if they don't show improvement over a reasonable amount of years)..in which case who does the blame ultimately fall on?

Jun 8, 2016
losing their job for what? bad lineups? that’s about 597 on the list of concerns for the school administrators.
Poor performance on the field. I am not saying it should be at the top of list of priorities but an Athletic Director should have some interest in putting out competitive teams, no?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad