Latest Vid of 9yo DN.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2009
I posted video of her in the spring and got some good feedback so I thought I would post the latest video and see what you guys had to say. Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FHEEdZfsPf0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She looks pretty good for 9YOA. Wow. A little more work and we are going to have another "perfect 10YOA pitcher".

My quick comment is to tell her not to try to pull her arm back after release. Her first pitch she lets the arm go where it wants after release, which is what you want her to do. Then, she has several pitches when she tries to "guide" her arm after release or even pull it back. After release, she needs to just let the arm go.

Feb 4, 2009
Thanks for the kind words Sluggers.

I'm looking to get her started on a peel drop. Can anyone recommend any drills or keys for the peel that you use to help your pitchers?

Feb 4, 2009
gvm, she is my niece, she throws the big ball consistently 44-45 since we went to it about 3 wks ago.

I really have to recommend Boardmember's post where he detailed the two most important drills in softball, the 3 o'clock drill and the show-it and throw it drills. Around here my two nieces are pretty much the only girls you'll see doing the drills in the way he described and we get some looks sometimes. Oldest one even had someone tell her that the way she was doing the 3 o'clock was flat out wrong.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I really have to recommend Boardmember's post where he detailed the two most important drills in softball, the 3 o'clock drill and the show-it and throw it drills. Around here my two nieces are pretty much the only girls you'll see doing the drills in the way he described and we get some looks sometimes. Oldest one even had someone tell her that the way she was doing the 3 o'clock was flat out wrong.
Please explain these drills.

Feb 4, 2009
3 o'clock drill --copied from boardmembers post--

To understand internal rotation of the of the upper arm, forearm and wrist as it relates to fastpitch, we will use REVERSE CHAINING. (meaning we'll start a the end and work backwards),

WITHOUT A BALL - Stand with your hips/shoulders/feet slightly more closed toward home, then fully open (toward third) to the target line. Do NOT stand completely open (shoulders inline with the target line) for this excercise. And do NOT stand more then 45 degree closed (toward the target line EVER).

Rest your throwing arm comfortably (not "stiff") at your side, and your palm facing inward, against the thigh.

Reverse Chaining/Motor Learning:

Step One/POSTION 1. WITHOUT moving or rotating your upper arm, externally rotate the palm to facing forward toward the target. Maintain this position with the palm facing forward.

Step Two/POSITION 2 (must be done from more then 45 degrees open to the target line to avoid injury to the shoulder joint). Move the forearm and the upper arm away from the side of the body so the hand is 4-6 inches out from the thigh. Not forward or back, but straight out from the thigh. Now externally rotate the upper arm in the shoulder socket, so the elbow is facing inward toward the body, and the bicep, forearm and palm are facing outward away from the body. You should feel your tricep resting against your body, and your elbow should be relaxed (slightly bent, not stiff/straight). You have now EXTERNALLY ROTATED the entire throwing mechanism (wrist/forearm, upper arm). THIS POSITION REPRESENTS THE BEGINING OF THE RELEASE PHASE of the pitch.

Step Three/POSITION 3. From position 2, maintaining slight elbow flexion, move your arm backwards up the back of the circle to parallel to the ground (called the 3:00 position). NOTICE THIS: As you move your arm backwards up the circle, the upper arm is allowed to further externally rotate to a "palm to the sky" (supinated) position. You have now REVERSE CHAINED to the most critical position in fastpitch.......POSITION 3......

Note: IMO, anyone being taught to throw a ball underhand should be started from this 3:00 POSITION 3, "palm to the sky".........

FORWARD CHAINING the mechanism in slow motion:

From the 3:00 position 3, palm to the sky, elbow slightly bent (flexed), slowly begin to move back down the circle "palm up", until you feel the tricep just meet the body, and STOP, maintaining the SLIGHT flexion in the elbow and palm up.

From this position, and allowing the elbow to straighten slightly as you approach the bottom, move back down to the externally rotated position of POSITION 2, with the elbow in - bicep/forearm/palm out just at the back of the thigh.

Release Phase: Continue internally rotating the upper arm, forearm and wrist AS YOU MOVE move past/through the release phase, allowing the hand to pass the thigh toward the target as it INTERNALLY rotates from out to in through the sequence. The hips/shoulders should be allowed to naturally rotate during the sequence. Do NOT force them closed.

One problem I frequently see is someone who posseses the Natural move, but begins his/her internal rotation prematurely, resulting in the dreaded "flying elbow". Premature shoulder rotation will also cause a "flying elbow", and can cause injury in the most extreme cases.

This sequence should be practiced gradually until it starts to flow naturally. The beauty of it is that IT IS NATURAL. As the arm moves from position 3 (3:00 palm up), through position 2 (release phase) it will SEEK THE NATURAL STARTING POSITION 1, causing a natural release phase, and what might feel like a "flip over" of the wrist through release.

You can then begin at position 1 (palm forward at the bottom), "rock it up" to position 3, 3:00 palm to the sky, and back down through release without pause to build the natural flow of the release phase. THIS IS THE 2nd BEST DRILL IN FASTPITCH IMO........

show it n throw it drill

Moving foward from here..........

IF you then move the arm up from the 3:00 position to the 12:00 position (4), above the shoulder socket and slightly past (forward toward the plate), NOT OVER THE HEAD, with the ball position UNCHANGED, and the elbow remaining slightly flexed, you will be "showing the ball to the batter" at the top. The arm will look like a wide open "C" maintaining elbow flexion. THIS POSITION IS CRITICAL to the success of pitching mechanics IMO.

You can then begin practicing the "half drill" rocking up to just past the top, and back down through the release phase........Here is the "chant" when doing this drill to insure proper external/internal rotation of the sequence:

"SHOW IT, AND THROW IT"...........THIS IS THE BEST DRILL IN FASTPITCH IMO.......

All of this should be done WITHOUT A BALL intially........And from the sideways slightly closed position.

A ball can then be added to both the 3:00 drill and the 12:00 "half drill" to begin working on the release phase with a ball. Timing of release is critical to the chain, and must be done in a fasion that imparts inward/forward spin to insure the pitcher doesn't "hang on to long" and miss the acceleration phase of the "natural snap". This is where an instuctor is invaluble to progression.......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish