Knee saver opinions/recommendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
DD I think is done growing, who knows. She is 11 and 5'6". I just got her a set of Easton Adult shin guards and need to replace the much to small knee savers she has. I think this pair will be the last ones for awhile and was wondering what everyone's opinions were of the better made/fitting/comfortable/functional savers are.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My DD is nearly 16 and has never used knee savers. I spoke with two different orthopedic surgeons and one physical therapist when DD first started catching 6 years ago and all said she shouldn't use knee savers. In their opinion, the knee savers separate the knee and in fact stretch the ligaments making injury more likely. They also said that the altered position could cause back issues. So we made the decision not to use them. We have spoken to others since then (as opinions, studies and experience change) and that is still the advice that we are receiving.

Oh and I wouldn't assume that your DD is done growing - my DD grew another inch in the last year.

*Now awaiting the barrage of knee saver advocates for the lambasting that I am sure to receive...* :eek:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I request that my catchers throw them away. I see them very rarely in MLB, so I think that they are unnecessary and many times the catcher can't get low enough to block, correctly.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
NECC DVD's have kids with and without. One using savers looks to be around college age. None of them have any problems getting into blocking position.

My DD wears them to help keep her in an athletic none-on receiving position, and because her legs aren't strong enough yet to keep her there by themselves.

That said, the knee strain point is an excellent one. I'll have to look more closely at how my DD is squatting and maybe remove them.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I am not a big fan of them. With proper training and other practices I don't see them as necessary. I try to minimize the amount of squatting done by my catchers. I platoon them with my pitchers and if all they are doing is receiving pitches as part of a pitching workout, they sit on milk crates. Not on a bucket as that puts them too high and my pitchers work on throwing 1-2 balls below the strike zone.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I have always thought they could potentially do more damage to the knee joint than good, but I don't have anything factual to back that up. However, I personally don't see how a catcher can properly block with knee savers on. Even with your toes out, the catchers butt will make contact with the calves. If the knee savers are in between, but butt has to come up. That would leave the 5 whole vulnerable.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
I guess I am missing the point on how the knee saver "separate the knee and in fact stretch the ligaments". If fitted properly all the knee saver does is fill in the area from calf to ankle thus lessening the stretch of the knee when in a squatting position.

Amy, I don't see how the knee savers keep the catcher from getting into a blocking position. If the feet are together , knees apart and glove in position, the ball isn't getting through. Posey and Martin come to mind and they are a couple of the best blocking catchers playing and they wear savers.

I didn't realize that I was going to start another infamous DFP debate on an issue/topic. :cool:

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I am not a big fan of them. With proper training and other practices I don't see them as necessary. I try to minimize the amount of squatting done by my catchers. I platoon them with my pitchers and if all they are doing is receiving pitches as part of a pitching workout, they sit on milk crates. Not on a bucket as that puts them too high and my pitchers work on throwing 1-2 balls below the strike zone.

That's a great idea!

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
Don't use them. I tell the catchers in tryouts that I will pick a player to start games who does not wear them over one who does. I want her out and in front of home picking up bunts and getting pop flies in her area, so my pitcher does not have to face plant or run into a runner. Now if you prove to me you can do that with those clunky things on, maybe I will change my mind.

This makes no sense, you are saying that knee savers prevent a catcher from being able to field a bunt and catch a pop up? So a top prospect wearing them has no chance of playing on your team? They are in no way a hindrance with movement any more than the shin guards alone. If what you are saying about clunky things not allowing a catcher to make a play then they might as well throw away those cumbersome shin guards.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I guess I am missing the point on how the knee saver "separate the knee and in fact stretch the ligaments". If fitted properly all the knee saver does is fill in the area from calf to ankle thus lessening the stretch of the knee when in a squatting position.

Amy, I don't see how the knee savers keep the catcher from getting into a blocking position. If the feet are together , knees apart and glove in position, the ball isn't getting through. Posey and Martin come to mind and they are a couple of the best blocking catchers playing and they wear savers.

I didn't realize that I was going to start another infamous DFP debate on an issue/topic. :cool:

If the knee savers are worn on the top straps (which is incorrect), they put extra separation pressure on the knee joint because they act as a fulcrum point behind the knee. If they are worn in the correctly on the bottom straps, I don't believe this is an issue.

You are correct about proper blocking position. The mitt covers the 5-hole, and the feet together are the backup.

AJ Ellis and Jarrod Saltalamacchia are a couple more MLB'ers that use knee savers.

My long, lean, and flexible young DD uses Mizuno knee savers (which are fairly low-profile compared to the Eastons) simply to keep her butt from dragging on the ground in a "no-runners" position. In a "runners on" stance, they aren't touched, and don't get in the way for blocking or fielding. Sometimes she will wear her legs during team footwork and agility drills (cones, ladders, hurdles, etc.), and the knee savers have not once created a movement or speed issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand