Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm so use to people disagreeing that I automatically read it as you disagreeing with me, LOL.

I agree with your thoughts on one's interpretation ..... however when you take one's interpretation, explanation, demo in this case and apply it to their actual swing (like W=w did) for verification, then I believe there is something more to it. If you demoed AP's knob to the ball, like he did in that video, I would of dismissed it just like I first dismissed AP's demo.. makes no difference who did it. However if W=w posted the video that he posted in this thread and I revisited your demo, then I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. I actually see some of that movement in his swing. The fact that AP himself did the demo and explained his approach and now I can actually see some of that in his swing holds more water because it's actually coming from the horses mouth... maybe there's something to it,

I believe when incorporated with a complete swing it get's the hitter going in the right direction and on plane early, with the barrel arcing behind led by the knob. I just believe there is a little more linear movement with the knob and the barrel lagging behind at first. I don't believe in TTB from go and the body will react appropriately

Here is where things get a little fuzzy. Some people believe certain things... (and this was really my whole point in chiming in...)

The bold above is something that is often misinterpreted...

Jun 8, 2016
I believe when incorporated with a complete swing it get's the hitter going in the right direction and on plane early, with the barrel arcing behind led by the knob. I just believe there is a little more linear movement with the knob and the barrel lagging behind at first. I don't believe in TTB from go and the body will react appropriately
Thing is 99% of beginning hitters already have the bolded action from the time they start hitting and getting them to THINK about turning it from go will most of the time not get rid of it...I think you said it did in your DD's case but she must be an exceptional listener..most of us are not blessed with those :p

May 12, 2016
Thing is 99% of beginning hitters already have the bolded action from the time they start hitting and getting them to THINK about turning it from go will most of the time not get rid of it...I think you said it did in your DD's case but she must be an exceptional listener..most of us are not blessed with those :p
I don't think I said that.. I might of mentioned, but we definitely didn't accomplish it, I don't see any of the big league hitters accomplishing it either to be honest.. there knob does move in a linear fashion, just not to the extreme as some of these demos

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

When does the barrel leave its starting point and ‘turn’ it’s a reaction to the scap retraction that is a reaction to the cores pull forward.( front oblique stretch aka rotation) It’s kinetic. The barrel GETS turned for sure. But as a reaction to the kinetic sequence.

In the past Knob to the ball has been taught out of sequence which has given it a bad name. Just like most cues in the hitting world.

When referring to the core in the swing, DD will refer to it as the ‘black hole’ because the feeling to her is her arms/hands get sucked in by the cores stretch and rotation during the sequence.

NO BARREL ARTICULATIONS

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I don't think I said that.. I might of mentioned, but we definitely didn't accomplish it, I don't see any of the big league hitters accomplishing it either to be honest.. there knob does move in a linear fashion, just not to the extreme as some of these demos
Ok, I know you had issues with TTB instruction I guess I just missed what that was exactly. I am not saying you want to get rid of linear motion of the knob only that that action is already ingrained in most hitters from the time they start and you WILL NOT get rid of it by telling them to think about turning it at go and that is a good thing. Turn it forward....

Nov 16, 2017
As a hitting vault subscriber (not really giving away content) Lisle has the turn of the bat as a knob to first base move. I think this is the happy medium of what the discussion is really centered about. To just turn the bat with no forward movement would point the knob at a 90 degree angle from the chest. In an actual swing the knob should be pointed toward first base by the time the back elbow gets slotted. So the best way to look at all of this is 90% turn of the bat move with a 10% feel of knob to downward path for just a super brief moment. The downward move or feeling of move has to occur simultaneously as your posture adjust to the pitch height.

TTB is your macro adjustment and what I get from this discussion is the knob to downward feel is a micro adjustment.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I’m in jury duty today so I’m killing time. Deal with it. :)

If any of you have played golf at a decent level. You would know that thinking of the club head doesn’t create straight shots. It’s the handle in which pros speak of to create and shape shots to win tournaments.

Swinging a bat is no different. Control the handle to control the barrel/clubhhead.

Hitting a ball deep in the zone(except low and away) is not the preferred contact point for any pro. Baseball or golf.

See golf tutorial below...

Barrel/clubhead going one way while the body is going the other way. Do you see it? It’s a kinetic sequence. Nothing forced.
NOTHING OVERBAKED.

The body counter rotates back with resistance during the negative move. This energy is held and stored during the forward move. The core eventually turns forward pulling the hands. Organic LAG. Hands articulate the knob to stay on a direct line to the ball.( The reason for the ‘down to’ cue is it is the fastest point to said ball from the hand set holding the bat. If the hands started below the ball then ‘up through’ makes perfect sense. Whatever the quickest line is to it so the player can see it the longest without commitment.) The core loads the swinging and unloads the swing( actually the hands unload the swing.)The other body parts( legs,arms, hands,head follow this lead, but have their own specific jobs as well.) Once this is in place. Hand path is what is needed.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Question: Is the linear motion of the knob created by hand movement, or by body movement (rotation) which happens to be moving the hands?

May 12, 2016
Question: Is the linear motion of the knob created by hand movement, or by body movement (rotation) which happens to be moving the hands?
I've never seen hands that could move in a linear motion on their own.. LOL

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've never seen hands that could move in a linear motion on their own.. LOL

They can if they are pushed or extended away from the body prematurely. Some of those clips that RD posted earlier... IMO what you are seeing is hand movement that is caused by body movement, during the phase that some refer to as "connection". They are not yet moving/extending away from the body. That is still in line with a "tight hand pivot point" and doesn't preclude TTB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom