Jose Bautista hitting article.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I've seen this demo by AP so many times because I couldn't figure out wtf he was talking about. What he was demoing looked so damned messed up and awkward. TBH I'm still not sure. Obviously his game swing does not look like this, then again he's just sitting there not engaging his larger muscles, so the hands/arms whole upper body looked messed up. Maybe AP really does have this mind set and when the full sequence is in place it doesn't look like this.. is that possible? It's no different than somebody displaying TM's awkward TTB demos, and then when the complete swing put in place it looks nothing like what he's demoing

You don’t see knob down towards the plate/ball?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This is all so damn confusing.. have no idea how to help my DD when it comes to barrel path.. I think the sequence, separation, and engagement of larger muscles/core is a no brainer.. but when it comes to barrel path may as well be in a different language ... can the pros really be that unaware of what they are actually doing.. I refuse to believe that, but it makes no damn sense

What doesn’t make sense? Barrel path?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This isn't actually a double pendulum example. The double pendulum works in the same way as the clip. I'll continue to look for the double pendulum specifically.

giphy.gif

Jun 8, 2016
... can the pros really be that unaware of what they are actually doing..
Why not? Pujols is a bit younger than me and until college nobody said a word to me about my swing and I never saw it on film. Literally the first time I saw myself swing a bat was when I was 20 years old. I never thought about what I was doing. I thought about getting the barrel to the ball..that was it. AP is 1000 times the hitter I was so my guess is that nobody said a word to him about his swing and he never really thought about it until somebody asked him about it when he was already on his way to the Hall of Fame. AP probably raked from the first time he swung a bat...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Why not? Pujols is a bit younger than me and until college nobody said a word to me about my swing and I never saw it on film. Literally the first time I saw myself swing a bat was when I was 20 years old. I never thought about what I was doing. I thought about getting the barrel to the ball..that was it. AP is 1000 times the hitter I was so my guess is that nobody said a word to him about his swing and he never really thought about it until somebody asked him about it when he was already on his way to the Hall of Fame. AP probably raked from the first time he swung a bat...

Funny coming from a PROfessor. I guess you just rolled outta bed and new exactly how to equate and strategize mechanical equations. No Problem. Just talented right? LOL.

I’ll say it again. When you are a PRO at something. A lot of work has went into attaining those said skills. Don’t down play it.

Jun 8, 2016
Funny coming from a PROfessor. I guess you just rolled outta bed and new exactly how to equate and strategize mechanical equations. No Problem. Just talented right? LOL.

I’ll say it again. When you are a PRO at something. A lot of work has went into attaining those said skills. Don’t down play it.
Not really the same thing but ok. I never said he didn't work his butt off to be good (ok I kind of did by saying he probably hit from the beginning but I didn't mean to imply that he didn't work at it), only that maybe that when he was doing that he wasn't necessarily aware of what he was doing. Like I said I was a pretty damn good hitter for a while, had scouts looking at me etc, and had no idea what the hell I was doing..I just hit. Now I worked my butt off but it wasn't really with any mechanical ideas in mind other than to try and square up the ball as often as possible. It is possible that AP, who has 1000 times the talent as I, was in a similar situation. That is all I am saying.

I get it you like AP's demo. Good for you..I'll send you a first edition DVD of it for Xmas if you send me your address. LOL LOL LOL

I have said it before, AP probably feels like he is keeping his hands inside the ball and has a downward barrel path (which is what happens before it travels upwards) so that is what he is demoing. You show that demo to some parent who has no idea what entails a good swing and it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016

You don’t see knob down towards the plate/ball?

Actually I do... like I said earlier maybe AP in the video is overemphasizing that motion. But I can see the initial knob towards the ball with the barrel lagging and following after

May 12, 2016
This isn't actually a double pendulum example. The double pendulum works in the same way as the clip. I'll continue to look for the double pendulum specifically.

giphy.gif
I can see it, thx Shawn. Interesting, this clip looks a lot like the videos I posted. Wrist does not break causing the barrel to lag behind

May 12, 2016
I seriously doubt that pattar.. I would say it's very unlikely that's the first time AP talked about his swing, Because he was so successful way before even stepping foot on a field in the majors he was probably asked many times. I played a lot of hockey, not pro by any means, but a high level of hockey. I had a very good slap shot and was a smooth skater. I was asked quite often what my technique was and actually stayed on the ice after practice to demonstrate. AP is a million times the ball played that I was a hockey player... obviously. I know he was asked about his swing prior to that interview.

Jun 8, 2016
I seriously doubt that pattar.. I would say it's very unlikely that's the first time AP talked about his swing, Because he was so successful way before even stepping foot on a field in the majors he was probably asked many times. I played a lot of hockey, not pro by any means, but a high level of hockey. I had a very good slap shot and was a smooth skater. I was asked quite often what my technique was and actually stayed on the ice after practice to demonstrate. AP is a million times the ball played that I was a hockey player... obviously. I know he was asked about his swing prior to that interview.
I didn't mean to imply that that was the actual first time he was ever asked about it. My point is a lot of these guys were not actually taught their swings, e.g. nobody said you need to do this and then this and then this. Without that sort of instruction, when somebody asks about your swing you are going give an answer based upon on how your swing feels and what your mental queues are, which may not necessarily line up exactly with what the actual swing is doing. W=w likes the demo and he seems like he has had success with his DD using it, which is great. My only problem is that when a demo/instructional video requires additional insight in order to use it properly it can be an issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom