Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
Fouts is about an inch off the ground in that picture. Maybe she lands 3" further than where he foot is. Bahl is *beyond* the white chalk in that picture. I suggest you go look again. But, I suspect nothing I say will change your mind, so I'm done engaging with you.

Enjoy your day.

Agreed. Must be a mental error.

Jun 6, 2018
Think of this comparison as a point of reference. Put Randy Johnson and Mariano Rivera next to one another. Johnson is much taller than Rivera, so he was much closer to the plate on his delivery. Assuming they had the same power and percentage of extension, there is no way Rivera could match Johnson's stride without leaping.

I would suggest you try it yourself. I have, and it proves my point. Even that small amount of drag creates friction which slows you down. Watch Bahl's delivery, and you'll see what I am referring to.

To your last point, I would say Bahl leaps while Fouts strides. Leaping is defined as leaving the ground. Stride is defined as moving with or as if with long steps.
Exactly! If a pitcher is releasing the ball 3 feet closer than another pitcher she will have a huge advantage.

Airbahl would not be releasing the ball 3 feet further than most other pitchers if she did not leap off of the mound to get that extension.

As I have said before, nothing against Airbahl as I think she would still have success if she actually pitched legally but there is no way she would have the stats that she has now. And my biggest complaint is this, she is pitching illegally, she knows and does not try to change it.

I wish the NCAA would hold a meeting and emphasize umpires to call it and call it every pitch if they have to. Would it make for terrible games the next couple of weeks? Yes but I guaranty it would be clean by the time of conference championships week leading into the playoffs. I think this is what people want to see and what will have a much better result for the NCAA WCWS. It will not bode well going forward if the majority tuning in come the final 8 see Airbahl on full display leaping off the mound because they are going to hear the purists calling it illegal and taint the viewing experience since they will ask "why are they allowed to cheat". Just ask MLB, they used PED's to bring everyone in but ultimately lost way more in the long run.

Jun 8, 2016
The main advantage, in my mind, at least is leaping does allow you to release closer than if you dragged. That said I am not convinced that a light drag takes much away from the actual landing spot. Somebody needs to compare landing spot for pitches with and without a leap for a pitcher who only leaps occasionally. I think Alexander last year only leaped occasionally, right?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
They can change the rule and people will still be staring at the pitchers feet.

The next 500 Page Plus thread will be
Little fun here...
When leaping becomes legal~
Pitcher Xavia is hopping.
Illegal Crow hopping.
can't they tell the difference between Crow hopping and leaping?
that's illegal Crow hopping she's not leaping that's not a leap. She's actually 'crow hopping' in the air like a crow ...hopping

What do you mean there's a difference between leaping and Crow hopping?
yes let's discuss the difference between what a Crow Hop is.
Crow Hop is illegal but leaping is legal so what's the difference?
how come they both leave the ground and get in the air a little bit
how can one be legal and the other one is not legal but they're both in the air?
how can you leave the ground without being in the air?
yes leaping in the air isn't the same as Crow hopping....

What?

Wait for it
Wait for it

Jun 8, 2016
They can change the rule and people will still be staring at the pitchers feet.

The next 500 Page Plus thread will be
Little fun here...
When leaping becomes legal~
Pitcher Xavia is hopping.
Illegal Crow hopping.
can't they tell the difference between Crow hopping and leaping?
that's illegal Crow hopping she's not leaping that's not a leap. She's actually 'crow hopping' in the air like a crow ...hopping

What do you mean there's a difference between leaping and Crow hopping?
yes let's discuss the difference between what a Crow Hop is.
Crow Hop is illegal but leaping is legal so what's the difference?
how come they both leave the ground and get in the air a little bit
how can one be legal and the other one is not legal but they're both in the air?
how can you leave the ground without being in the air?
yes leaping in the air isn't the same as Crow hopping....

What?

Wait for it
Wait for it
Yeah, if my kid cannot hit a pitcher I am not going to blame the pitcher..but that is me.

I said this before but the easiest thing to do would be to extend the circle to a point where it is a reasonable (figure out what that is ) diameter and just make sure everybody pitches within it..That might keep Manute Bol from pitching but should be fair for everybody else..Certainly easier to police.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yeah, if my kid cannot hit a pitcher I am not going to blame the pitcher..but that is me.

I said this before but the easiest thing to do would be to extend the circle to a point where it is a reasonable (figure out what that is ) diameter and just make sure everybody pitches within it..That might keep Manute Bol from pitching but should be fair for everybody else..Certainly easier to police.
There you go a limit line like in bowling. Then people can discuss the optimum height to be a pitcher...
And leg to arm ratio like Michael Phelps

How about a pitcher's box inside the circle.
The pitcher, when they're pitching, cannot step outside of the box including the front line, just like batters.

And
They can leap or hop if they want to but they have to stay with in the Box

Just having a little fun with this

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
There you go a limit line like in bowling. Then people can discuss the optimum height to be a pitcher...
And leg to arm ratio like Michael Phelps

How about a pitcher's box inside the circle.
The pitcher, when they're pitching, cannot step outside of the box including the front line, just like batters.

And
They can leap or hop if they want to but they have to stay with in the Box

Just having a little fun with this
They already have a pitching lane..I know you are against any sort of rule but there is always going to have to be some sort of rule otherwise you would have pitchers triple jumping the ball to the plate. Might as well make it easily policed (or at least easier)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
They already have a pitching lane..I know you are against any sort of rule but there is always going to have to be some sort of rule otherwise you would have pitchers triple jumping the ball to the plate. Might as well make it easily policed (or at least easier)
Not against having rules good to have parameters. It's okay that people want to be rule sticklers and really point out that that rule is being fractured.
I just don't think that Jordyn Bahl is having success because of her feet.

*Pitchers box
Back foot
Front foot
Sides

Jun 8, 2016
I just don't think that Jordan Ball is having success because about topic her success is beyond any issues people concern themselves with the rule being broken that is not why batters aren't hitting her.
I agree..I think.

Oct 14, 2019
Not against having rules good to have parameters. It's okay that people want to be rule sticklers and really point out that that rule is being fractured.
I just don't think that Jordyn Bahl is having success because of her feet.

*Pitchers box
Back foot
Front foot
Sides

hallelujah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1